Another one bites the dust........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

..........at the hands of Savage girl. But it wasn't so easy this year. I had a few setbacks. Here goes...........

Saturday morning 2:45--no wait--why's the alarm going off at 2:45?? Oh, no need to worry it's just someone's phone. Anyways out in the woods by 5:45. I'm in a shooting house on a green field. I'm settled in waiting for light. I glance up and see 10 spots walking through the field. But it's only 6:20! I can't see well enough to shoot. Ten minutes later i see horns. I couldn't focus through bicnoculars or my scope because it was still too dark! I had to let it go. I saw two more does that morning--but I'm still waiting for Mr. Buck to walk out.
Saturday afternoon--Same green field. Two does come out at 4:30. I text Chuck "shoot or wait?" He said wait. Well, something spooked them from the woods to my left--I hoped it was a buck. But no such luck. Didn't see anything else that night. No one got anything Saturday.
This was the field I was in Saturday:
KY%20hunt2006%20003.jpg

Sunday morning--same green field. It was freezing and the wind was blowing! I had in my mind I was going to shoot whatever walked in my path. So before it get's light; I see a dark spot walk into the field and eat. Well, then it walks into the woods before it was light enough to see what it was!! Or so I thought. As the sun came up I keep focusing on a lump by the edge of the woods. It was a doe!! And she was big! She layed down for 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was so anxious! Finally she gets up. I put my scope on her as she's heading into the woods. This is the only shot I'll have before she's fully into the woods. I pull the trigger and.............NOTHING!!!! My gun didn't go off! She's GONE! I called Chuck to tell him and he's upset. We had switched bullets recently and they just weren't holding up like the ones in the past. So we go back to the lodge for lunch and Chuck fixes me up with my old load 250gr Shockwave with 36gr N-110. Now, I'm ready for Mr. Big Buck!
Harry and JD each killed a doe that morning.

Sunday afternoon--different green field. Here's a pic
KY%20hunt2006%20016.jpg

Well, at first I didn't feel so great about this spot. I waited and read my book and waited. Then Chuck sends me a message to check with my range finder the distance of a possible shot. As I am about to write back I glance up and see 4 does standing in my field. It's 4:30. Shoot or wait? SHOOT!!! I put my scope on the biggest one and pulled the trigger. She did some kind of flip and then fell right there where she stood!! The shot was 103 yards.
Here she is:
KY%20hunt2006%20027.jpg

KY%20hunt2006%20030.jpg

She weighed 160lbs!!!

Here are some misc. pics of the hunt
KY%20hunt2006%20007.jpg

KY%20hunt2006%20008.jpg

KY%20hunt2006%20009.jpg

KY%20hunt2006%20002.jpg

KY%20hunt2006%20024.jpg

Good report Kristel.

You took a VERY nice doe! You should be proud! :lol:

The weekend went by so fast! I'm glad you took some good pics, I didn't take as many as I thought I did! :? :yeah:

Kristel,
That was a really big Doe. :shock: Congradulations. Thanks for all the pics. I really like the looks of the property.

Way to go Kristel! That's the way to hang in there. That doe was huge and maybe you'll win the big doe prize! Chuck....If that was your "best face".......(oh well). :lol:

Nice! That looked like a lot of fun. You must be vying for biggest doe again!!
Congratulations.

Great story, great pics and nice doe. Two questions - what book were you reading and what load failed to perform?
BR's Cob

Well, the book I was reading was a true crime story about a women who hired someone to kill her husband.
The load that didn't fire was: 36grN-110/250gr Ballistic extreme/hph12.

That really is a nice big doe. Good shooting. I've seen a lot of people with centerfires that couldn't knock them flat at that distance.

As for reading books in the deer blind.. never read the series by Janet Evanovich. (I bought the entire collection I liked her writing so much) She writes crime stories based on the adventures of a female bounty hunter named Stephanie Plum. The problem is you get laughing so hard when you read the books nothing ever comes into the blinds...

Again, congratulations.

Back