Anti Powerbelt shooters???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbird

Reaction score
I am a new visitor to this forum. I have been watching another muzzleloader forum for about one month now and have noticed that a majority of of contributors to that site have, what appears to be, a negative opinions of the powerbelt bullets.

I have limited experience in muzzloaders. I bought a TC Scout carbine in 1993 and was less than pleased with the performance from that rifle. Last year, I bought a CVA Pro Magnum Kodiak. & used Powerbelt bullets & triple seven powder. I was satisfied with this combo, but disliked the constant berrel cleaning between shots. Finally this week end I was able to put together an outing at the range using the new Western Powder Co. Blackhorn 209 powder (80 grains)under a 245 gr. 50 cal. powerbelt Aeropoint and was EXTREMELY pleased with the results. 7/8" & 1-1/8" ..3 shot groups the first time out @ 100 yards. I could only shoot 2" plus groups using 250 gr. TC Shockwave bullets & the Powerbelt 295 gr. HP with the same 80 grs. BH209.

Here in NW lower Michigan our deer run mostly about 100 to 150 Lbs. The distances around here run from 20 yards to 150 yards on average. 200 yards is a long shot !!!!

The few hunters nearby that have used the powerbelts seem happy with the results.

My question is ....WHY are thse guys so anti Powerbelts on the other forum.

Because most dont understand that a pure lead conical can not be driven by 150g "3 pellets" at short distances of 20 yards and expect the bullet to hold together. They just dont understand that the 3 pellet load is for LONG range shooting, 150+ yards. The 3 pellet load in my opinion is also a gimmick to sell the expensive pellets. You'd need a really long barrel in order to have those 3 pellets burn completely.

But I, Like many of the members here use nothing but powerbelts and round balls for hunting. Its gotten to the point where i melt down all of my recovered powerbelts and mold my own round balls!

Another reason for the anti powerbelt guys is the price. To me, Price doesnt bother me one bit when it comes to hunting season. Target shooting, Sure it does get a bit pricey but i refuse to use anything else.

I notice that you are using BlackHorn209. I am going to start a Special Category for you guys who are using this new powder with powerbelts. Those are some excellent groups you are getting.

Welcome to the forum and please enjoy! I started this forum back in January for those of us who enjoy this projectile and i am happy to have all of you here.

EDIT:

Just added the Blackhorn209 & Powerbelts Category. It would be great to hear how this new Powder works with the Powerbelts. :!:

I also forgot to mention that the Aerotips for me, are a hell of a lot more accurate. The 295g Hollow Points usually shoot 1" groups @ 100 yards while the Aerotips will go directly into a nice nickel size hole.

This is just a thought on my part but to some way CVA has had something to do with the with the over powder loads . I have watched their show on Versus and all the time they are using 3 50gr pellets for their loads . My Omega SS 209x50 will cloverleaf at 100 yards with a 130gr pellet load but I will not use this load for hunting . In the next couple of weeks hope to do some wet newspaper shooting at my cousins farm with some loads to compare the results , using 100gr. - 110gr. ffg 777 .
Charlie

my uncle has been using a type of powerbelt (blackbelt is what he called it) for years, if I remembered right, with about every deer he has shot with both CF, and ml have been bang flops, don't know what load he uses.

I have not shot a powerbelt at a deer yet, but I shoot my rounds saboted or powerbelt with less then 100grs of sometype of loose.

as for anti powerbelt people, you find them in all forums (but this one) some of the people in a couple are more understanding.

This website is here to properly teach how to use them. Pass through with me is not an issue as they will bleed like a Son of a gun when the right powder charge and Powerbelt is used.

I have some Data on the 195's as i shot 4 packages of them. 80 grains 2f is the limit, with 70-75 being better.

Of all the deer shot between myself, my 2 buddies and my neighbor and his 2 boys, I have only seen 2 PB's that haven't exited. The blood trails with or with out exiting have always been moderate to heavy once we located the blood. Between the 6 of us we're shooting aerotipped PB's ranging between 223 to 348gr. The 2 bullets that didn't exit were a 245 gr and a 348 gr. The one shot with the 245gr ran 50 yds and the one shot with the 348 gr ran 25 ft or so. Thankfully so far with have never lost a deer that has been shot with a Powerbelt..................and I don't even get paid to say that

MI88

Michigander88
I killed two deer last year with the 245 AT and did not get an exit but the terminal preformance was outstanding.
I feel that I pushed them to hard but I am learning

Back