Anyone reload for 350 legend?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a Diamondback DB-carbon in 350 legend. I am looking for reloading recipes for 180 gr Maker monolithic bullets for supersonic and 280 gr Makers for subsonic. I've been looking but can't seem to find reloading recipes for those bullets. Hammer bullets makes a 172 gr copper solid that has a similar overall length and they list 19 gr Lilgun or H110 as a starting point so I am thinking I'll start there and work up slow. I called the guy at Maker and he said I might see pressure problems with the 280 gr because he designed them to be fired from shorter barrels (NOW he tells me). He suggested starting at 10 gr H110. I sure would like to see someone else's experience with these bullets. I am scared of getting one stuck in the barrel. Those things are so long it would be a real job to pound one out.

I did and I have the app but these bullets are different; longer since they are all copper.
I don't have any experience with the 350 legend, but I have quite a bit of experience with reloading. I looked into the specs. for the 350 legend & don't see any bullet weight recommended over 250gr. Myself I would not reload over the recommended weight because of pressures. What are you using the bullet for? I'm Asking because I see You are looking at all copper, if I am correct. If you are using for hunting, my recommendation would be the Barnes TSX. Great bullets & plenty to get the job done & lots of loading data & stay safe!

They are for hunting. I already have the Maker bullets is why I am being specific. The 280 gr is rated to expand at 900 fps and the gel tests I have seen were impressive. As I said, the 280 gr were apparently designed to be shot out of 12.5" barrels, which I didn't know when I ordered them. He really aught to put that in the description of the bullet in his catalog. All it says is they require a 1:10 twist or faster. The gun I ordered has a 1:8 twist (fastest I have seen for 350 legend), so I thought I was good. It has a 16" barrel though which may be an issue. It remains to be seen though. Maker said he has not fired these through a 16" barrel.

They are for hunting. I already have the Maker bullets is why I am being specific. The 280 gr is rated to expand at 900 fps and the gel tests I have seen were impressive. As I said, the 280 gr were apparently designed to be shot out of 12.5" barrels, which I didn't know when I ordered them. He really aught to put that in the description of the bullet in his catalog. All it says is they require a 1:10 twist or faster. The gun I ordered has a 1:8 twist (fastest I have seen for 350 legend), so I thought I was good. It has a 16" barrel though which may be an issue. It remains to be seen though. Maker said he has not fired these through a 16" barrel.
I see, maybe try the internet to see if anyone that reloads has any possible reload data you could start with.

I purchased a Savage Axis II 350 Legend in January. It is a great shooter, with factory or reloaded ammo.

I have loaded with Ramshot Enforcer and H110. I would say I prefer H110. However, they each load and shoot well.

I have no experience with copper solids. I've loaded bullets from 125-180 grain. My best loads are 170 Hornady Interlock and 180 Winchester PP. I use Berry's 147 grain RN for plinking. They shoot great also. I would say my rifle will shoot any ammo I feed it.

I will say I have to watch my COAL. My rifle seems to have a chamber that is particular about the length. It will not chamber a bullet with a wide meplat. The "pointier" the better.

I have gotten all of my reloading data from these sites:
https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/350-legend/
https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/?t=1

Last edited:
I reload for the 350 Legend, however with 180gr Speer HotCor SPFN bullets. 26gr Lil Gun pushes them, have shot a few deer no issues. I'd recommend you just get some Barnes TSX 180s if you must use copper.

I wrote the Maker bullet guy and asked if I could trade the 280 grain bullets in for the 250's. I'll wait to hear from him but I've decided not to risk loading them for my 16" barrel.

I believe I have a starting point for the 180 grainers. I will load a few with 20 gr Lil gun and a few with 20 gr H110 and work up from there. Maker made those 250 's for the people with 16" barrels who couldn't shoot the 280's apparently. He lists a load of 12 gr Alliant 2400 at 1020fps. That is a powder I don't currently have but at least it gives me an idea.

Those 280 gr bullets are ginormous at 1.495" long and take up approximately 88% of the case volume.

Last edited:
My 350 legend bolt gun shoots fantastic. Plenty of .355 bullet choices in many weights available to reload with.

Concerning the 250 grain loads, check the reloading data online. You will find that they call for rifle powders instead of pistol powders. IMR 3031, Benchmark, TAC and such. These are all producing subsonic speeds.

Well I guess my barrel is actually 1:16 anyway. The add from Primary arms is just wrong. Still remains to be seen what they are willing to do to make it right. It would be great if they would comp me a barrel. Odin works makes a 416 stainless 16.1" barrel with a 1:10 twist. It isn't carbon but it really was the fast twist I was after anyway so I could be happy with a stainless barrel. Comping the barrel would go a long way toward making it right for me and they of course need to change that add to reflect the truth.

I loaded up some of the 180 maker bullets to 2.26" COAL; 3 x 20 gr Lilgun, 3 x 21 gr, 3 x 22 gr, 3 x 23 gr, and 3 x 24 gr. I'll head to the range this weekend and start with the 20 gr charges and shoot them over a chronograph to check velocity and look for pressure signs. I'll let you know what I see.

Well I didn't get very far. The 20 grainers shot 1990 to 2020 fps and the 21 grainers were nearly the same, averaging only a handful of fps more. The 22 grainers were 2150 to 2180 fps but had flattened primers and cases with expanded bases. One had a split case. Obviously high pressure so I didn't shoot the others and will pull them. It may be that I am using Winchester brass (all I could find to buy) and I have read reports that say the winchester brass is thicker with less case volume and also more brittle brass. I may revisit that load when I can get some new Starline brass. For right now, with Winchester brass, It looks like 21 gr Lilgun is the most I can load for the 180 gr Maker bullets. I haven't tried H110 yet.

I have had issues with Lilgun and the 350. The Hornady manual max is way to hot for my rifle. I ended 3-4 gr under max. Lilgun is very touchy. I use SW SBR Socom powder for it, I get 2300 out of a 21" barrel shooting the 170 gr Hornady bullet in Starline brass. I saw the powder use on Utube, Alabama reloader, I believe. This is a rem 700 rifle.

I purchased a CVA cascade 2 years ago in 350. I’m always getting invited to hunt in a straight wall county and I’ve always just used my smokeless. Purchased some starline brass with some H110 and the 170 grain hornady bullet. It didn’t take long to get a great 100 yard accurate load. My brother got one way before me and he’s using the 158 grain fury and does really well with it. Here’s 5@100 yards. Smaller holes were from something else. This load was at max and no issues in my gun.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I loaded up some more 180 grainers starting at 20 gr H110: 3 with 20 gr, 3 with 21 gr, 3 with 21.5 gr, 3 with 22 gr, and 3 with 22.5 gr. If all of those shoot without pressure signs, I will go a bit further 0.5 gr at a time until I see pressure signs.

I also loaded up some 147 gr fmj 9 mm bullets from RMR starting at 25 gr H110. Same kind of progression as the 180 grainers but ranging from 25 gr to 26.5 gr H110. I shot 3 of the commercial 145 gr Winchester bullets through the chronograph yesterday so I will use those speeds as a reference point.

I load for the 357 Max (similar to 350L). I pretty much only load Fury bullets for them. I use AA1680. Might could try it.

Back