Anyone reload for 350 legend?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I thought I had it dialed in but I guess not. The 26.5 gr H110 with 147 gr 9mm bullets from RMR seemed ok for the 3 shots; no pressure signs I could see. The speeds were a bit faster than the commercial 145 gr Winchester. The Winchester 145 gr FMJ averaged around 2264 fps and mine averaged 2393 fps. I pulled 3 of the Winchester bullets and measured their mass and powder charge mass. The bullets averaged 144.6 gr and the powder charge averaged 27.0 gr. COAL was 2.207". The powder did not resemble H110; much finer grained and duller in sheen. They also were not crimped in very tight as just 2 or 3 whacks with the kinetic puller did the job.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I loaded up 25 bullets with 26.5 gr H110 and the 147 gr RMR bullets and headed to the range. I shot 3 and inspected the casings and didn't see any problems so I loaded the rest in the magazine and proceeded to shoot. I had a jam on the 19th shot. Upon clearing the jam, I noticed the casing had a blown primer and was badly bulged at the base. I emptied my brass catcher and inspected all the casings and found 2 more with blown primers and bulged cases and one with a bulged case and an intact primer. It looks like 26.5 gr H110 is still too much to be safe. 3 out of 22 were clearly overpressure and that is 3 too many. How much should I reduce the charge do you think? I am thinking maybe a grain less and try again.

Does anyone know what Winchester uses for powder in their 145 gr FMJ loads?

On the upside, the gun seems to shoot those commercial loads very well. I shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that was 0.636 " center to center using a 3x Nikon P-223 tactical scope.

Attachments

• 100 yrd 4-20-24.jpg
    100 yrd 4-20-24.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
I loaded Berry's 147 grain RN .356 with H110. I tried four different loadings: 27.0. 27.4, 27.8 and 28.2 grains of H110. OAL was 2.100". I used new Starline brass. Call me anal, but I weigh every powder charge.

None of my rounds showed pressure signs. The first two loadings were accurate. My groups opened up on the two higher loads. I'm very curious about you seeing pressure signs on a lighter loading of the same powder.

I am using 147 grain RMR heavy match bullets. They are shorter and less tapered than the 145 Winchester projectiles. I was using a COAL of 2.06". The Win 145's were loaded to 2.207" COAL. If I subtract the difference in projectile length of the Win 145's - RMR 147's , it would be 2.09" so mine may have been a bit short. Also, I am using Winchester brass which I have read has slightly less case volume so that might also contribute to the higher pressure. How long are your Berry 147 gr bullets?

These ones from RMR are only 0.628" on average. Subtracting 0.04" from your OAL would be 2.06" so case volume should have been very similar. I wonder if it's the difference between starline and Winchester brass. I couldn't find any Starline when I was ordering stuff and RMR had a good deal going on primed Winchester brass they got from pulling commercial ammo (250 for $100 for primed cases).

I loaded Berry's 147 grain RN .356 with H110. I tried four different loadings: 27.0. 27.4, 27.8 and 28.2 grains of H110. OAL was 2.100". I used new Starline brass. Call me anal, but I weigh every powder charge.

None of my rounds showed pressure signs. The first two loadings were accurate. My groups opened up on the two higher loads. I'm very curious about you seeing pressure signs on a lighter loading of the same powder.
Did you shoot yours through a chronograph? What were the speeds?

I haven't tried them. I am more interested in finding good plinking bullets that don't have feeding issues with my rifle.

The 147 gr bullets from RMR were fine with the old barrel but they feed like crap with the new one. It must be a difference in the feed ramps or something. I don't know if anything can be done to fix that or not. I will try another magazine but I don't think that is the issue. I could also try polishing the feed ramp I guess but the issue is the bullet is getting jammed right into the feed ramp, pushing the bullet further into the case. The more tapered 145 gr bullets from Winchester do seem to feed reliably so it is the blunter profile of the RMR bullets that is the issue.

The other issue I have with the new setup is a tuning issue. Even with the adjustable gas block fully open, there isn't enough gas pressure to lock the slide back. It will eject with supersonic ammo but not with subsonic. I will try a lighter buffer and buffer spring to see if I can solve that.

Back