Anyone using a Drilling Triple Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Drilling is German for triple barrel. Cartridge. Usually shotgun barrels on top and a rifle on the bottom. Seems like an overall firearm. I see some as light as 7.5 pounds.
Anyone ever used one?

I have 3 drillings and love them for hunting ;When you go hunting you are ready for small game and big game also I have 22 long rifle inserts that go in one of the shotgun barrels and sighted to the sights

Not a drilling but I have a vintage German JP Sauer double 12ga over 8x57JR. Beautiful combo gun!
I somehow misunderstand. Is "double 12ga" two shotgun barrels? Over 8x57JR. Isn't a drilling has three barrels?

My combo 1880, first three pictures below. Shotgun 20g and rifle side by side. Actually the seller calls it a Combo/Cape gun.

Pictures my Colt Sauer Model 3000 Drilling. Muzzle with double 12ga barrels on top and 30 06 Springfield below.

I am not at all trying to argue, just trying to understand/ Truthfully I am very new about Combo and Drilling. Help me, please!

Might help to see pictures of your gun? Sounds beautiful!

Attachments

• Combo 1.jpg
    Combo 1.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Combo 2.jpg
    Combo 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Combo 3.jpg
    Combo 3.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 0
  • Colt-Sauer-Model-3000-Drilling-12-70-30-06-SPR_102163015_120685_503DD17042D170FB.jpg
    Colt-Sauer-Model-3000-Drilling-12-70-30-06-SPR_102163015_120685_503DD17042D170FB.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 0
I have 3 drillings and love them for hunting ;When you go hunting you are ready for small game and big game also I have 22 long rifle inserts that go in one of the shotgun barrels and sighted to the sights
I like these. Do the ,22LR inserts fit inside your shotgun barrels? Full length? Where can I find these?

For Instance I have full length Koler insert tubes in my 12ga Perazzi O/U and will let me shoot .410, 28ga, 20ga, 16ga.

I like these. Do the ,22LR inserts fit inside your shotgun barrels? Full length? Where can I find these?

For Instance I have full length Koler insert tubes in my 12ga Perazzi O/U and will let me shoot .410, 28ga, 20ga, 16ga.
not full length about 10 or 12 inches and gauge pacific of course and they are adjustable for point of impact and have extractors that work with the extractor on the barrels . They are hard to find in USA most are in Germany and other places where drillings are mfg. I have a couple that were made by CZ a few years ago you may be able to find one of those . The best are made by Krieghoff google Krieghoff 22 rim fire barrel insert and you can see what they look like seems they are no longer made but I am not sure Good Luck I just looked on GunBroker and their is a shotgun listed with one that has very good pictures of the insert just look for Krieghoff 22 long rifle insert

Last edited:
Drilling is German for triple barrel. Cartridge. Usually shotgun barrels on top and a rifle on the bottom. Seems like an overall firearm. I see some as light as 7.5 pounds.
Anyone ever used one?
My buddy has one, 3006 over 12 gauge. I hunted deer with it a couple of times. Was a true wall hanger, and great shooter.

My buddy has one, 3006 over 12 gauge. I hunted deer with it a couple of times. Was a true wall hanger, and great shooter.
If it was double 30/06 over 12 gauge it is rare I would love to have one in that combo

Latest posts

Back