Back from Africa

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairchase

Reaction score
Outfitter: Cruiser Safaris, www.cruisersafaris.com
Where: Limpopo, RSA
Animals taken: kudu, gemsbok, impala, wildebeest, warthogs, nyala, grey duiker, steenbok, waterbuck, blesbok
Rifle used: Knight Disk Elite, 285 gr Barnes Spitfire bullets, Wano FFg black powder and Winchester 209 primers

I hunted for 6 days with Pieter and a day with Hans, both fantastic PH?s and great guys in general. Their skills and knowledge of the animals and terrain was amazing, I learned a lot from both of them and their trackers too.
I took 11 animals in 8 days, and with a self imposed limit of a 100 yards, I found most of my hunts very challenging. Only the wildebeest was shot passed a 100 yards, but not by much, at a distance of 110.

Blesbok.jpg

Gemsbok.jpg

Kudu.jpg

Impala.jpg

Warthog%201.jpg

Steenbok.jpg

Waterbuck.jpg

Nyala.jpg

Wildebeest.jpg

Warthog%202.jpg

Duiker.jpg

Barnes%20285.jpg

My rifle/bullet combo worked well, with only the bullet from the waterbuck, nyala and wildebeest not making complete pass throughs. The Barnes all copper bullets are very hard and while they didn?t quite reach their full potential at the modest speed of 1500 fps. they are real killers on all game, big and small.

Everybody on Cruisers staff truly enjoys their jobs and it shows in their good natured attitude and commitment to excellence. I can whole heartedly recommend Cruiser Safaris. Their operation is first rate in all aspects and they love to hunt hard. They?ll do what ever it takes to get you on the best animals.

I found South Africa a wonderful country and my solo trip from the USA and back will live forever in my memory, even though I have already started to plan another safari as soon as possible!

For all of you who offered me advice in my earlier posts...thank you and happy hunting.

Wow fairchase, that's quite an array of animals you took there! Congratulations on the great trophys! And all with a muzzleloader too. I bet that was a great time for sure.

Way to go Greg! That looks as if it was an AWESOME trip! Looks like Africa may be in my future as well! Thanks for the pics and report!

BTW..Was your powder selection because of availability in Africa?

Thanks guys. It was really an awesome trip.

6X6, Good for you, you?ll have a great time.

I used that Wano powder because it?s mainly the only powder anyone can get in that country. It is the exact same powder as Grafs and Sons powder, so that?s what I practiced with. Some people bring in pellets and get them passed the TSA inspectors and SA police, but felt it was too risky?the TSA fine is $10,000 if they want to fine you?no thanks, too much stress. I have been told that there is some Swiss powder in the country but most suppliers have only Wano or another powder called Sannodex which is not imported here in the states. Reviews are mixed on Sannodex, I hear it?s not very powerful stuff.

Doohan , the ranges were mostly between 60 and 110 yards, but most of the game was very hard to stalk due to the dry conditions and the weariness of the animals.
One of my most noteworthy kills however was my first, the Blesbok. I shot him as he ran down a trail at full gallop. 35 yds out and he was really moving, I swung my rifle like a shotgun and made the hit right on his shoulder. That really surprised my PH! He couldn?t believe I took the shot, eventhough he told me I could try it, if I felt confident.

Those are some pretty impressive sized animals except for that little guy. That 50 cal must have torn him up pretty good :wink: . Maybe a sling shot would have been in order there :D . Not familiar with those but bet that one is considered a trophy as well. Looks like good time was had.

RAF,
The little one is a steenbok. and yes that is a mature male who will just make it into the SCI book...not that it matters.
The bullet actually acted just like a solid and poked in and out with no damage, just dropped him in his tracks. However, I'll take note of your slingshot idea for next time :wink:

Man that is cool!! I would love to do an Africian hunt. You must be really happy about your trip. I especially like the Kudu and Gemsbok. Congrats on your trip and trophies. Really cool!!

Don B.

Latest posts

Back