bad crab season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down in the Chesapeake and the Barnegat near me. King and snow gone in the Bering sea too. Crustaceons and bivalves are the filter of the water, the canary in a coal mine....

How many crabs does it take to make a meal for, say, 4 people? What I don't understand is the bushels of crabs per day allowed. That's crazy. Maybe install a size limit on them so only larger crabs can be possessed allowing the smaller to grow a bit. Its hard to say.... you're dealing with nature and anytime man sticks his ideologies in there things can go south in a hurry.

How many crabs does it take to make a meal for, say, 4 people? What I don't understand is the bushels of crabs per day allowed. That's crazy. Maybe install a size limit on them so only larger crabs can be possessed allowing the smaller to grow a bit. It’s hard to say.... you're dealing with nature and anytime man sticks his ideologies in there things can go south in a hurry.
It takes a lot of crabs to make anything and there’s always been a size limit. Im not sure they know exactly what’s going on but the introduction of blue catfish to the bay by Virginia certainly hasn’t helped .

How many crabs does it take to make a meal for, say, 4 people? What I don't understand is the bushels of crabs per day allowed. That's crazy. Maybe install a size limit on them so only larger crabs can be possessed allowing the smaller to grow a bit. Its hard to say.... you're dealing with nature and anytime man sticks his ideologies in there things can go south in a hurry.
mr tom about 6 males per person but i normally eat 10 i love crabs

There are no shortages of crabs. Just ask any commercial crabber if you don't believe me.
IMO, thats right, they will fish till the very last one is gone, then shrug their shoulders and ask, where did they go. My rule of thumb is, if they fish commercially, they violate.

Last edited:
Last time I was in MD I ate my weight in crabs and other seafood.
I was raised a block off the Ches bay in 1963, my neighborhood was cut out right on it, we had a community harbor & huge fishing/crabbing/swimming pier, just below the West river. I took my first steps on my grandpa's boat on the bay. I grew up eating all kinds of fresh seafood from the bay & rivers. I'm in N Fl. & I miss the food from Md more than I miss Md.

Thats right, they will fish till the very last one is gone, then shrug their shoulders and ask, where did they go. My rule of thumb is, if they fish commercially, they violate.
You guys really should go talk to some commercial guys. Been hearing this same thing for ever. Its not even close to what you think it is.

I duck hunt with a mix of good guys who make their living as commercial fishermen, were commercial fishermen, and/or now fix boats/motors for commercial fishermen.

They just want the rules to make sense and not be someone's activism shoved down their throats. They do seem to get tired of Federal and State regulators having differing agendas, drawing lines in different areas, and demanding different rules followed depending what random line is drawn where by who... etc. They follow the rules and harvest what is allowed, when allowed, how allowed, and the size allowed etc. Basically: they just want to make a living providing sea food for others, but all the activism cuts into their ability to do it.

They don't understand why Cormorant (a huge fish predating water bird) are protected, and the Cormorant's effects on fish populations seemingly is ignored. I've seen flocks of Cormorant blacken the sky.

They don't crab the Chesapeake so I don't have much to add in that respect.

It's not that complicated, and they are not the bad guys.

My .02 USD

Tom

Back