Best long range (200+yards) muzzleloader for the price?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windfall

Reaction score
I want to buy a new gun, and there are a lot of claims being made by different companies. I want options on what gun provides the best long range accuracy for the price. I don’t want to get talked in to a $6500 custom gun, when there are guns out there that shoot just as good at a fraction of the cost. Any suggestions?

I want to buy a new gun, and there are a lot of claims being made by different companies. I want options on what gun provides the best long range accuracy for the price. I don’t want to get talked in to a $6500 custom gun, when there are guns out there that shoot just as good at a fraction of the cost. Any suggestions?
Sure get realistic , there isn't one behind every tree ! Most get into it for the long haul and if lucky step in it and know enough to say sold . You did not mention any wants/must have/or other little details experience would have made you mention . It's a blank waiting for you /Ed

Sure get realistic , there isn't one behind every tree ! Most get into it for the long haul and if lucky step in it and know enough to say sold . You did not mention any wants/must have/or other little details experience would have made you mention . It's a blank waiting for you /Ed
I’ve looked at an accura lrx, but have read mixed reviews, I’ve looked at a Paramount, and read mixed reviews. And I’ve looked at a knight peregrine, and a knight 500, and heard mixed reviews. Four different guns, priced from $600-$2500. Depending on who you ask, they are the best, or worst guns out there. I’m looking for a gun, to shoot, and hunt with. I would like to be able to comfortably shoot to ranges out to 400 yards, and know if I miss, it’s me and not the gun.

What is long range? If you are really talking long range, over 300 yds, a bolt action. You can get an all nitrided Defiance Outcast with a Brux barrel. You'd have a sub moa top quality rifle to build on for around $2k, not including optics. You can dump more money into the stock and trigger as desired.
I agree on the bolt action. Probably a .45 cal. fast twist. Bullet to bore. 20 MOA scope rail just to be safe. Smokeless rated barrel would be nice but not mandatory. Top it off with a GOOD scope.
The Knight 500 is a great rifle but is definitely not a rifle you want to carry around hunting. X

Dec 7th I shot a nice Maine buck at 188 yards. White G series whitetail. >451, .457-495 gr cast bullet, 70 grains of 3F black powder with a felt wad. perfect double lung shot.
Nit Wit

I'd buy a single shot 45/70, and have the breech bored/counter sunk/threaded with your choice of plug/ignition system, and shoot smokeless.

I think...... that when we had this forum added to the site, that "long range" was considered to be 300yds and beyond.
That'd definitely be fair for the platform we're talking about. But, I'm not the decider of such things.

Just as "big" bucks are different by region(Think UP vs IA), I think the same applies to shooting distance. LR to me in Wyoming is vastly different than LR to my pops in the Loess hills, or my baby brother in the Ozarks, or my cousin in the Northwoods.

But if 3hundo is what's been established, it sounds good to me.
However, I don't think an average off the shelf ML with an average shooter is going to be ethical at 300yds.

My 2¢

I agree with Muzzyhans above. Buy a CVA 45-70 and have it converted with a breech plug and you will have yourself one fine ML capable far beyond 200 yds.

That is why when we asked to start the LONG range forum, it was for the few that actually shoot and hunt long range.
It shouldn't just be for a few folks that shoot and hunt long range. Everyone should have the opportunity to learn about expensive rifles that are having tighter and tighter restrictions put on them.

Back