Best long range (200+yards) muzzleloader for the price?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shouldn't just be for a few folks that shoot and hunt long range. Everyone should have the opportunity to learn about expensive rifles that are having tighter and tighter restrictions put on them.
The forum is for anyone, but it was designed back in 2015 for the few that at time, actually shot and hunted long range. One of the first posts was a long range harvest, that today the hunter is 45-70.
What it was never designed to be was a forum to discuss shooting/hunting at less than 300yds, which wasn't/isn't considered to be long range. The modern inline forum does well for that.

The forum is for anyone, but it was designed back in 2015 for the few that at time, actually shot and hunted long range. One of the first posts was a long range harvest, that today the hunter is 45-70.
What it was never designed to be was a forum to discuss shooting/hunting at less than 300yds, which wasn't/isn't considered to be long range. The modern inline forum does well for that.
My response was tongue in cheek.

I'm into the woodman rifles, just not sold on a crossbolt safety vs an exposed hammer. I'd prefer the hammer. 5.5lbs would be awesome though.

I'm into the woodman rifles, just not sold on a crossbolt safety vs an exposed hammer. I'd prefer the hammer. 5.5lbs would be awesome though.
I have yet to hear of any issues with the patriot lineup. And mark is bar none on top of his game for customer support and satisfaction if one was to ever have issues

What caliber are you wanting? 45 cal will definitely shoot flatter longer than a 50 just because of bullet weight. I've shot great consistent groups with my knight 45 disc out to 350 yards. 200gr Barnes with 110gr loose FFF works awesome. I bought that gun on Armslist a few years back for 200 bucks so you can find good deals. You just have to shop.

To each his own! But for me and a lot of others having just a cross-bolt safety is even more of a plus to an outstanding muzzleloader.
I suppose. Being a lever-gun and revolver fan, I just prefer letting the hammer down for safety as opposed to another mechanism.
Plus I don't like the two step system to break the thing open once it's been made ready. One simple lever to open the firearm, one lever to pull back when ready to fire. Simple. Simple is good.
And I don't necessarily like having to use tools to get the plug out.

Having said that, having the action sealed up from the elements makes perfect sense to me, and I know why people are attracted to that. And the dang weight! Nice and light! Love that.

I suppose. Being a lever-gun and revolver fan, I just prefer letting the hammer down for safety as opposed to another mechanism.
Plus I don't like the two step system to break the thing open once it's been made ready. One simple lever to open the firearm, one lever to pull back when ready to fire. Simple. Simple is good.
And I don't necessarily like having to use tools to get the plug out.

Having said that, having the action sealed up from the elements makes perfect sense to me, and I know why people are attracted to that. And the dang weight! Nice and light! Love that.
See? Now you’re starting to come around. You’ll have a Patriot before you know it.

If you haven't shot a bolt action muzzleloader with full bore/sized bullets, you are missing out for sure. There is nothing like it IMO. I definitely would not want to carry 13 lbs around doing woods hunting. It's all about the right tool for the job. We were shooting a 45 bolt yesterday. It weighs 13 lbs, has a ported brake and shoots as good of a group as the shooter can shoot with hardly any recoil. Sometimes you are second guessing your shot because they go in the same hole.

I agree, but "long-range" is kind of a subjective term.

I think...... that when we had this forum added to the site, that "long range" was considered to be 300yds and beyond.

I still consider 300+ to be long range. “A mans got to know his limitations”
^^^^ These 3 statements are spot on. That being said I believe you can shoot 300+ yards with a black powder sub in an accurate rifle but let's face it, the average Joe can't do it repeatedly with a flat shooting CF rifle (even though they say they can). An accurate rifle, a good range finder and practice, practice and more practice is needed. I don't doubt my Knight Moutaineer will do the job out to 400 yards but I haven't practiced it. And at that range there is a pretty good difference in trajectory from 375 to 400 yards to mean a complete miss.
I would be more confident with my less expensive .45-70 smokeless conversion in making a shot at those longer ranges. Now, after all this babbling, if you're really serious about shooting long range then a custom build is definitely the way to go.
Personally I like to practice shooting long range but until I feel comfortable making a shot on an animal at extended distances I won't attempt it.

Last edited:
^^^^ These 3 statements are spot on. That being said I believe you can shoot 300+ yards with a black powder sub in an accurate rifle but let's face it, the average Joe can't do it repeatedly with a flat shooting CF rifle (even though they say they can). An accurate rifle, a good range finder and practice, practice and more practice is needed. I don't doubt my Knight Moutaineer will do the job out to 400 yards but I haven't practiced it. And at that range there is a pretty good difference in trajectory from 375 to 400 yards to mean a complete miss.
I would be more confident with my less expensive .45-70 smokeless conversion in making a shot at those longer ranges. Now, after all this babbling, if you're really serious about shooting long range then a custom build is definitely the way to go.
Personally I like to practice shooting long range but until I feel comfortable making a shot on an animal at extended distances I won't attempt it.
You're going to get there. I'm pretty confident on that. You have the right attitude and the drive to become a long range shooter. As you mentioned, practice and lots of practice. It builds confidence.
You'd be surprised at what your Knight can actually do. You should really try to attend a match or the Nationals at Friendship. You'll see Knights knocking over rams easily at 500yds. Everyone there will help if you need it or ask. Good Lord willing, I'll be at both National events and Camp Atterbury next summer. Show up and I'll spot for you if you'd like. If you don't have a portable bench, you're welcome to use mine. Heck, use my rifle too if you like..........

That's super nice of you Encore and appreciated it. But I've done the competition thing back in my younger years and got it out of my system. I have no desire to be where I am competing against anyone else but myself. Now I do like the camaraderie with other shooters and knowledge they have but I have fun learning from my mistakes and taking pride in doing things that work.

That's super nice of you Encore and appreciated it. But I've done the competition thing back in my younger years and got it out of my system. I have no desire to be where I am competing against anyone else but myself. Now I do like the camaraderie with other shooters and knowledge they have but I have fun learning from my mistakes and taking pride in doing things that work.
Well, the offer still stands.

Making a trip to Friendship is an outstanding experience. Every single thing about muzzleloading is there. Builders, craftsmen and women, supplies, you name it. People are friendly and always willing to help in any way they can. Nothing like a line of all types of muzzleloaders igniting all at once and everything from BP smoke to substitutes is in the air. Some of those rifles must weigh 40# and they DO shoot 200grs of black powder in them.

Back