BH209 Loads...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charger440

Reaction score
Okay so, i just want to see what you guys have to say about knights response about max load for a ( MOUNTAINEER) 45 CAL 1:20 twist. Now in now way do i intend to shoot a load of BH @ 150gr V. But i asked knight 2 diff times and this is my response. This is just for conversation to kinda feel out what you guys think. Here are screen shots of what i asked, VS what they told me about max load BH in a mountaineer.

Screen shots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113-103307_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-103307_Gmail.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20221019-234003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-234003_Samsung Internet.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221019-231126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-231126_Gallery.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Why is this being rehashed again. I showed you the manual. It dont matter what some employee said other than he is WRONG. The manual clearly states 120gr by volume is max for BH209 in all Knight bolt actions except the Peregrine. https://www.muzzleloaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Knight_Owners_Manual_2021Preview.pdf

You already posted the screen shots before right?...so whats the point of going over it again?
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/45cal-loads-velocities.55100/page-2

Last edited:
My load in my knight Disc extreme us 70 grains by wieght, 200 grain Shockwave so far have killed 27 deer with this load very few have run farther then 50 yards,don't think it's necessary for here, a big deer here is 150 pounds.

This is my
Why is this being rehashed again. I showed you the manual. It dont matter what some employee said other than he is WRONG. The manual clearly states 120gr by volume is max for BH209 in all Knight bolt actions except the Peregrine. https://www.muzzleloaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Knight_Owners_Manual_2021Preview.pdf

You already posted the screen shots before right?...so whats the point of going over it again?

Because my point is everyone says its only 120 gr max. But knight is saying its 150, AND also states the bolts are apparently diff on the mountaineer, peregrine, UL, VS the other bolt action ones they make. But peregrine states 160 gr V of BH. So my point is whos correct? I have knight saying 150. Everyone else saying 120, for peregrine says 160. So that leaves the mountaineer and UL. Being different. I just wanted more peoples input as to why its so vague is all i am getting at here.

NO Knight does not say that. I just proved it. One Knight employee said it. The Knight manual i listed is from 2021 so it covers ALL bolt actions they have made.

How are the bolts different? I swap mine around all the time. The Peregrine has a tungsten carbide bushing plug so it will wear much slower. The hole for the firing pin in the Peregrine bolt is also smaller. A primer is less likely to "flow" into the hole from a heavy load.

NO Knight does not say that. I just proved it. One Knight employee said it. The Knight manual i listed is from 2021 so it covers ALL bolt actions they have made.

How are the bolts different? I swap mine around all the time. The Peregrine has a tungsten carbide bushing plug so it will wear much slower.
Dude this is why i am asking. Holy hell, chill.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130-210001_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-210001_Drive.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221130-205854_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-205854_Drive.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 0
Let me post it again for you. Direct copy and paste from page 16-17

There are many black powder substitutes available.
Read and follow all instructions and warnings provided by the manu-
facturer of the propellant you choose
. Use and care instructions do
vary from one manufacturer to another and from one prduct to
another.

Blackhorn 209 Powder
Bolt Action: DO NOT exceed 120 volumetric units of Blackhorn 209
Peregrine: DO NOT exceed 160 volumetric units of Blackhorn 209
TK2000: DO NOT use
* Do not use Blackhorn 209 with flintlock, #11 percussion or musket caps.
* Using max loads can shorten the life of a breech plug.

So from this its clear to me that 120gr by volume is max according to Knight and Hodgdon.

Its apparently something in the breech plug.
Like i said the firing pin hole is also smaller in a Peregrine bolt. Even Bestill offers that mod for guys that want to shoot lots of max loads. You could also argue that a 40cal bore in the same OD barrel has more metal than the 45cal but its also making more pressure with the same load. 40s build pressure faster and higher than a 45.

I cant see any reason the hotter load would be ok in a Ulite or Mountaineer vs say an Extreme as far as strength goes. I have both and nearly all the parts but plugs swap. Only difference in the plugs is some length on the powder side but the critical lengths (flash channel length) appears to be the same.

One of the guys here bought a Peregrine and posted pics of the bolt. He also tried it in another Knight bolt action...IIRC it fit and functioned.

Bestill Customs offers several levels of plug and bolt mods including LRMP but that gets expensive. Just his plug if you can DIY is about $80.

He posted his contact info on FB so its probably ok to post it here.
[email protected]

Bestill Customs offers several levels of plug and bolt mods including LRMP but that gets expensive. Just his plug if you can DIY is about $80.

He posted his contact info on FB so its probably ok to post it here.
[email protected]

Perfect thanks. I did just find his facebook as well. Im going to contact him soon and see what all he has avail.

Back