Big Thanks to Lewis. ....... Volunteer 451 sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
It has been many years since I used a peep sight for long range. My eyes just got to old. It was a bummer. Then i got so used to a 20x scope that even looking through a peep sight everything looked microscopic . I tried not to think about what used to be as that is depressing. I just kinda viewed it as a season on life that was over .
Well i decided that regardless i wanted to shoot a few of my sidelocks for old times sake. Time is winding down.
I realized I would never be super accurate again but thought maybe if i practiced enough looking through the blurry hole at the blurry front sight I might be able to at shoot a blurry target a couple hundred yards away.
I spent lots of time practicing a 6 o clock and sub 6 hold which is what i always preferred.
my gong is rather large , a 16" gong so that helped as I was was finally able to hit it everytime out to 300 yards and 3 out of 4 times at 400 yards. I was so happy that I decided it was time to shoot the Pedersoli 451 Volunteer 1:21 twist with the 428 gr PP bullets .
problem was the Volunteer has a ladder rear sight and post front . To discouraging compared to the creedmore peep.

lewis was nice enough to install a pedersoli tang sight and a front globe sight with inserts .
he even took it and had the horrible 7 lb trigger worked on and was able to get it to 3 1/2

I received it today and now i am hoping i can shoot this baby and hit more than the broad side of a barn. I realize age has its limits but if i can hit the gong at 300 and 400 i can live with that all things considered . I almost felt 20 years younger ( not really )

so a big thank you to Lewis. I will post some targets as soon as i get out with it.
Sure feels good to shoot a good sidelock again instead of my 20x inlines.

Attachments

• 9EC14021-4995-443D-8707-1583E9BC5864.jpeg
    9EC14021-4995-443D-8707-1583E9BC5864.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 24
  • F9091B2B-1727-4054-96DF-3B7C29E88FD0.jpeg
    F9091B2B-1727-4054-96DF-3B7C29E88FD0.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 5ADF564F-8DC9-4BA0-9885-FDFF94D4897D.jpeg
    5ADF564F-8DC9-4BA0-9885-FDFF94D4897D.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 122BAB2F-E5C7-40CE-9DD6-0DDC4E4593D5.jpeg
    122BAB2F-E5C7-40CE-9DD6-0DDC4E4593D5.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 24
  • A9706CD2-43D4-49F3-9B22-A254FB487250.jpeg
    A9706CD2-43D4-49F3-9B22-A254FB487250.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 23
Nice rifle!!

Hope the mods work out for you.

Lewis is definitely an asset to the forum. I started reading his posts on the "That Other Forum", and followed him here because he tells the truth as he sees it. He states what happens, good, and bad, let's the chips fall where they may, does not whitewash things just to make himself, or his guns, look good, and if he makes a mistake he owns right up to it.

Most of what he reports here ends up getting corroborated by multiple other forum members. Which just adds to the honesty that his posts project.

His willingness to help others, for little or no compensation, is well known here.

All in all, he is just a good guy.

It has been many years since I used a peep sight for long range. My eyes just got to old. It was a bummer. Then i got so used to a 20x scope that even looking through a peep sight everything looked microscopic . I tried not to think about what used to be as that is depressing. I just kinda viewed it as a season on life that was over .
Well i decided that regardless i wanted to shoot a few of my sidelocks for old times sake. Time is winding down.
I realized I would never be super accurate again but thought maybe if i practiced enough looking through the blurry hole at the blurry front sight I might be able to at shoot a blurry target a couple hundred yards away.
I spent lots of time practicing a 6 o clock and sub 6 hold which is what i always preferred.
my gong is rather large , a 16" gong so that helped as I was was finally able to hit it everytime out to 300 yards and 3 out of 4 times at 400 yards. I was so happy that I decided it was time to shoot the Pedersoli 451 Volunteer 1:21 twist with the 428 gr PP bullets .
problem was the Volunteer has a ladder rear sight and post front . To discouraging compared to the creedmore peep.

lewis was nice enough to install a pedersoli tang sight and a front globe sight with inserts .
he even took it and had the horrible 7 lb trigger worked on and was able to get it to 3 1/2

I received it today and now i am hoping i can shoot this baby and hit more than the broad side of a barn. I realize age has its limits but if i can hit the gong at 300 and 400 i can live with that all things considered . I almost felt 20 years younger ( not really )

so a big thank you to Lewis. I will post some targets as soon as i get out with it.
Sure feels good to shoot a good sidelock again instead of my 20x inlines.

Thank you for the Kind words my Friend. It was my pleasure to do that for ya! I hope the Rifle Shoots as good as it looks

good rifles, what is the manufacture , mine wa a Parker Hale , had it years ago shot lights out at 500
This one is a Pedersoli volunteer target model. I also have a Parker Hale one unfired :) the parker hale is the Navy Arms one though which i believe Pedersoli also makes . Its not a real Parker Halev

Last edited:
Idaholewis is indeed a classy guy . What he did and does daily is his testimoney . Im sure that he truly is very happy for you and that rifle doing well together !!! Its also pretty nice that youve appreciated his efforts like this . Pure motives shine like the noonday sun . Beautifull for all . Dark ones only Think their not seen by all ......

Does your globe have a magnifier in it or was it the work on other end that his work helped ya out?

How many folks use a peep verses open sights on them when not using a scope? Percentage wise? I'm needing to use a verifier on my bow's sight nowadays.

I only have two rifles with a peep. A Renegade and AR-15. With a peep I can see my sights just fine even though my eyes are aging. With a std open dovetail, I can't. I have an SKS, with the factory sights... best I can do is point and shoot, vs actually aim at a spot. LOL

Oh, and green fiber is definitely the way to go!

Latest posts

Back