Black Iced my MK-95

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back I purchased a very nice MK-85 for my father, for some reason we cannot figure out he was having a hard time keeping it from rusting. More so the outside of the barrel than the inside, I suggested sending it out and having it Black Iced. Turns out that Lee offers a discount if you do two barrels instead of one so I decided to send along my MK-95. I had the action and everything Black Iced and my stock dipped. Pics are below.

kWla6Pt.jpg

gLVCp1j.jpg

RddV97b.jpg

I have to say that I am really happy with how things turned out. Lee is a great guy to talk with and if anyone is thinking about getting anything coated I recommend you go for it. We sent the guns out on May,11 with a rough six week lead time because of my stock dipping. The guns arrived on May 18. Lee sent me an email on June 19 to say they had shipped back and an invoice would follow. When I called to pay the invoice he apologized for the amount of time it took. When I told him that they were completed sooner that I had expected he laughed and told me they he had an opening and fit them in. On top of it all I also have to tip my hat to Knight, Lee broke a screw on my MK-95 in the disassembly process and that was the delay, getting the right part from Knight. Guess I got lucky and someone there had one left over in their tool box. No charge to me though.

Finish looks awesome. Interested in how well the bolt parts hold up over time. I.e. Finish wearing off.

The finish may wear over time but is supposed to be embedded in the metal so events it wears you don't lose the protection. Time will tell, I'm saving to put put a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 on it. I have a Silver Nikon Prostaff on it but sold it once I decided to get it coated.

That looks sweet! :yeah: What camo pattern is that?

Cabelas has a sale on Vortex right now...the Diamondback HP was about half off. Might want to check it out. Not a viper, but darn good scope. Would do all you'd ever need on the MK. :D

:shock: Cliff, that looks awesome! I have thought about doing my original MK 95 50cal. You are making it hard on me to hold off! :wink: I still have my MK 85 54cal that is blued too. :think:

Looks good, my white thunderbolt is black iced. Like you I'm very happy with it. The action turned out smoother than before if you can believe it. No sign of wear at all on mine .
Steve

The original quote we got was $165 to coat barreled action, $150 each for the pair. I never got a quote for the stock dipping so I don't know how much it would have been and since it was cheaper I don't know if he discounted us for the extra time so I am reluctant to post those costs.

Great just what I needed, another thing on my WANT list. Looks awesome

Looks awesome and sounds like great service.
I can't tell you how many times I've thought about putting that same combo together on a muzzleloader. My AR has a Mothwing Winter Mimicry furniture set and while I can't get into shooting AR's, I love the look of it and have thought it would be perfect for hunting the winters here. I just need to decide if I want to go with Black Ice or have it Nitrided.

I've had two bolt action Muzzleloaders Black Iced from Lee and have been very pleased with the quality and service. Not only a good looking finish but makes for an easy clean up and maintenance. The finish will wear some where metal works against metal but what finish won't. Good product in my opinion.

Back