Blackhorn breech plugs.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
casper said:
The NFPJ conversion won't do anything differently, as far as blow by, as the primer pocket is still spring loaded. I all ready have contact at both end of the primer, I just need to get a stronger spring to overcome the pressure of firing. I think the 900024 plug design will help in that regard as well. I did get my Traditions Thunderbolt modified to shoot BH so that's a plus. (That's a long story). I modified a 8mm hex head cap screw "a lot", for the 209 nipple, and slightly modified the breech plug, Done. :yeah:
I think you mean the plunger is spring loaded, instead of the pocket. Most here a have gotten away from the FPJ because the bare primer can usually be sealed up tight, plus just getting rid of the expense of the FPJ. I agree that the bare primer Kit by itself may still leak. Since I don't actually have the revolution I can't be 100% sure, but I do believe that with a conversion kit to go to bare primer you get rid of the FPJ as a possible source of leakage. Next add the stiffer spring and an O-ring to the bottom of the primer pocket (not behind the plunger) and I do believe it will be sealed up good, so it is 3 things not just the kit. By experimenting with O-ring thickness, when you load a primer the action will seat it against the O-ring in the bottom of the primer pocket and as the action closes it will force the primer back against that plunger (Possibly till it can't go any further back) so that you have the plunger pushing forward on one end and the O-ring in the bottom of the pocket getting compressed on the other end. This will compress the O-ring farther making a good seal. With the right amount of compression the action would still close good and lock and then nothing can get by that primer and all pressure and flame has to go through the plug to the powder. Hope that makes more since what we are getting at. This is what we did to the KRB to seal them up.

The only down side to the Kit will be trying to find one. Might take a while to locate one. :roll: I've gone through that with the MK-95 as there are no parts available for it either. New Old stock parts come up on Gunbroker now and then.

Let us know hot the new plug works, If it seals the FPJ better then maybe you don't have to look farther.

My suspicion is the FPJ will never make a good seal, but i have no real experience using them. ShawnT, Now here is an example of how a mill could be a necessary machine. Thinking about making all the parts of that kit that may make the Revolution work good with Blackhorn, brought me to the conclusion that i could make the adapter by using a lathe, and a mill. The breech plug itself, is almost already nearly done from a prvious project only requiring the use of a lathe. Making the adapter in my mind, leads me to believe i could make the adapter by using a lathe, and then a mill. If it weren't hunting season, and if it wasn't for wife' imagination, and i had a Revolution rifle in hand, i think i would have at it, iff the rifle were my own. However, reality has me seeking deer for food, and trying to make things, that began in wife' mind.

ronlaughlin said:
My suspicion is the FPJ will never make a good seal, but i have no real experience using them. ShawnT, Now here is an example of how a mill could be a necessary machine. Thinking about making all the parts of that kit that may make the Revolution work good with Blackhorn, brought me to the conclusion that i could make the adapter by using a lathe, and a mill. The breech plug itself, is almost already nearly done from a prvious project only requiring the use of a lathe. Making the adapter in my mind, leads me to believe i could make the adapter by using a lathe, and then a mill. If it weren't hunting season, and if it wasn't for wife' imagination, and i had a Revolution rifle in hand, i think i would have at it, iff the rifle were my own. However, reality has me seeking deer for food, and trying to make things, that began in wife' mind.

Oh Ron you are twisting my arm! :poke: :lol: I really want to get one or both. Both is not I the cards at the moment. :( Maybe when Uncle Sam gives me some of my moola back I can at least get one. The more I talk about this stuff I too can just imagine how I would work on it. I love this type of stuff.

Back