Blue sabots 40/50 destroyed by magnum charge!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmerdeer

Reaction score
Hi guys, went to the range today and did some tests with the 200gr shwaves with the blue sabots. The sabots were being destroyed completley with 3 T/7 pellet loads,holes blown wright through the sabot and the petals mangled. So no groups with those sabots even at 50 yards, could not touch paper. What I noticed is that the bullet does not sit properly in the sabot and leaves a little gap no matter how hard I push it down. So if there any alternatives I would like to know. I would love it if they made them like the black shorter sabots that come with the 250&300 grain sabots no probem there. However the thinner and longer petaled sabots that come with the sst, and shochkwaves I noticed if you cut the longer petals by a little over an 1/8 of an inch they group under 1 moa, If not the groups open up to 2-2.5 inches. I only shoot 3 T7 pellets with all my bullets it keeps things simple for me. Thx Elmer.

What gun?

Are you using MMP blue sabots direct from MMP?

There a problem (at least for me) with 3 pellets-- it is go or no go. Loose powder gives you all the flexibility to work up a load missing in pellets.

Have you tried 2 50 gr. + 1 30 gr. pellet?

I've never had that problem. I couldn't tell you HOW many MMP Blue sabots I've used but, trust me, it is a LOT of 'em! I've also never had a "gap" problem either. As for alternatives...Try PYRODEX pellets or LOOSE Triple Se7en, 100-110gr.

The gun I use is T/C encore. The sabots come with the shockwaves in the package, have no Idea if they are mmp. And th fit is bad the bullets flare the petals and do not sit properly at all. There is at least a 1/8 inch gap between the bottom of the bullet and the base of the sabot where it is suppose to sit. Elmer

First thing I'd do is get MMP .40 / 50 blue sabots direct from MMP. That will likely change things for you in a hurry.

elmerdeer said:
The gun I use is T/C encore. The sabots come with the shockwaves in the package, have no Idea if they are mmp.

That's the problem. It's hard to tell what your getting. MMP Blue sabot should solve your problem.

Thx, I will order some, and see if they are different than what is in the package. Elmer

You better call and talk to Del before you order, I got some from them direct that did the same thing.

MMP only makes one sabot out of "that polymer"-- the .40 / 50 blue. No other sabot has that formulation.

Thinner is better, but the MMP blue is the best bet there is.

Back