Harvester light blue sabot,, the future of modern muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
The most amazing machine, and I will call it that because I have my own language and the freedom to use it,the most important part of the law of muzzleloading science load,57 gr of 4198 ether letter.
I will go as far as to say I think it's one of the most useful additions to Modern muzzleloading shooting period. The light blue has turned me into a plastic shooter the black Harvester really impressed me with 452's in most 28 twist barrels but the light blue with bullets from 180 to 240 grains in all of my 20- 18 twist gives me consistent half inch and less groups and in about half of my rifles that measurement is around a quarter inch never thought I would be so impressed with a little chunk of plastic but I sure am as a man I'm reminded it's the simple things often sometimes we miss that, so as 2023 closes and we get ready for another year my hat goes off to the light blue I am so impressed if I had one of those Kiddy places where your Toddler goes and jumps into that blown up tent looking thing with all the balls down on the floor full of the light blue I would dive in it and swim.

Attachments

• 20231224_125450.jpg
    20231224_125450.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The most amazing machine, and I will call it that because I have my own language and the freedom to use it,the most important part of the law of muzzleloading science load,57 gr of 4198 ether letter.
I will go as far as to say I think it's one of the most useful additions to Modern muzzleloading shooting period. The light blue has turned me into a plastic shooter the black Harvester really impressed me with 452's in most 28 twist barrels but the light blue with bullets from 180 to 240 grains in all of my 20- 18 twist gives me consistent half inch and less groups and in about half of my rifles that measurement is around a quarter inch never thought I would be so impressed with a little chunk of plastic but I sure am as a man I'm reminded it's the simple things often sometimes we miss that, so as 2023 closes and we get ready for another year my hat goes off to the light blue I am so impressed if I had one of those Kiddy places where your Toddler goes and jumps into that blown up tent looking thing with all the balls down on the floor full of the light blue I would dive in it and swim.
Crushed ribbed correct

I shoot the light blue smooth more than I do the ribbed I like both I've been shooting just smooth in almost all of my smokeless loads for a while I must admit that's one test with the 40 cal bullets and the light blue I haven't spent a lot of time with is ribbed versus smooth. Now with the black Harvesters I sure like the ribbed better in 50 cal but I'm getting such consistency out of the smooth shooting 40 and a 45 it's hard for me to change anything I'm going to stick to what is working so well for me I would imagine there are a lot of you shooting the ribbed with great success too

Getting to ready to take a year or two long look at 50 cal plastic loads everything from a 250 up to a 450 I'm going to start with the black ribbed Harvester and 452 bullets and I'm going to take a hard look at all 44 Cal and of course what I think will be the best the .458 bullets in the orange, a lot of work has been done on the 50 I don't really plan on re-plowing that field but I am going to try to find that ultimate load like my defined 4198 load the plastic is going to be a big part of that

I just picked up some light blue crushed ribbed ones for the 40 Barnes expanders the tan sabots were tuff stuffing mow the new crushed ribbed ones slide down a little to easily but I haven’t shot any yet so will see

Those are all I use in my 45s

My guns all shot the light blue so much better than the tan that I gave up on that completely that doesn't mean that someone's individual gun is not going to like them I sure am a supporter of try everything
I shoot the light blue sabots as well, but the tan have their place also. I cut off the petals and use them as bases for conicals.

Getting to ready to take a year or two long look at 50 cal plastic loads everything from a 250 up to a 450 I'm going to start with the black ribbed Harvester and 452 bullets and I'm going to take a hard look at all 44 Cal and of course what I think will be the best the .458 bullets in the orange, a lot of work has been done on the 50 I don't really plan on re-plowing that field but I am going to try to find that ultimate load like my defined 4198 load the plastic is going to be a big part of that
Very much looking forward to this analysis as it unfolds ...
I'm still a fan of the old 50

I'm excited to get it going too,,should be within the next two weeks,,will mostly be smokeless, but some Blackhorn shooting too,,looking for concrete glaring finds I cannot ignore,,not much velocity chasing,,not that velocity is not important,,I want to learn more about plastic sabots and 50 cal,,,I hope to find a load like the law of muzzleloading science 45 load,,,90 percent if not more of 50 cal loads are saboted,,alot of work already done by others,,alot of old established Savage loads etc,,I have a big I want to see for myself streak in my brain!it's intertwined with a stubborn simpleton Bubba streak. Both test barrels are heavy douglas,,one 20 ,,one 22 twist,barrels will be installed on ether Remington 700 or Defiance ,,rifle will look like benchrest setup,,,will post pics and more details.

Hello Mnt Monkey, I to like the HLBS with 155 and 180 gr XTP's with BP. But with SML @ IMR 4198 (57grs) what bullets are using on deer size game? and do you find that they blow apart?..

My hunting load is the 225 Fury 40 cal with that 57 grains but I have shot a lot of deer and pigs also with the 240 OT and his 250 40 cal with the black tip forget the name of it sorry about that I don't know that I've ever had any of my Fury bullets quote blow apart entering a deer chest or a hog chest or head or neck almost always have passed through sometimes pretty radical but I have a very different View of what I expect out of a bullet than most muzzleloaders, I will just say this I'm never worried about a pass through, and a blood trail, what I'm concerned about when I walk up is finding the deer laying as close as possible to where I shot at him, it's controversial a little I know, because I know 90% of muzzleloaders are looking for that pass through bullet I don't have a problem myself if my bullet gets inside an animal's chest and blows apart it's dumped every bit of its energy there and that's animals chest now that's very different than a bullet blowing up on the surface of a bone that's not what I'm talking about but I don't have a problem at all with a really nice sleek Pittman, Arrowhead ,Parker Fury Etc Sleek bullet getting inside the animal I'm shooting at chest and coming to pieces I do not think that animal is going very far I get to meat waste issue I understand that and are some value to that view, but I personally place the accuracy of these type bullets and the comfort of that accuracy way above the comfort of knowing I'm fixing to get a pass through an animal's chest ,as a young man I shot those solids Barnes Nosler partitions Etc it is high velocity as I could however doing those years as a Young Man shooting Centerfire I work for guides in South Texas and Mexico during hunting season because it paid for my own place to hunt I followed more deer into the brush with those pass through bullets for clients then I ever did with the man who brought his daughter with a 70 grain 243 B tip or hollow point. Again I'm pretty hard-headed I had to see that a lot before I walked away from shooting Mega bullets at Mega velocities and realize it was accuracy I needed,, always accuracy.
Also I have killed a lot of deer and pigs with these bullets and black horn my constant load was 70 grains by weight of Blackhorn I've tried a lot of other loads but I just could not beat the consistency of the 70 grains so any Blackhorn load I was working up even with the smokeless capable guns I went straight to that load and even though my gun was capable of handling a whole lot more Blackhorn the accuracy I was looking for was there at 70.

Muzzle loading constants,,, really in a phrase that's what I'm looking for personally I'm very dogmatic about finding them and when I find them I'm very dogmatic about testing them once that testing is through and been proven in multiple guns and multiple seasons and circumstances I'm ready to shout from the mountain tops and preach it in the streets ,all of our own muzzleloaders have individual constants ,the constants that I'm looking for I guess are broader in a sense.

Back