Rezero From SST to XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duurmeehr

Reaction score
I rezeroed from the 50 gr.45 SST with the red low drag sabot to the 240 gr .44 XTP with the green supplied sabot in my 50 cal CVA Optima V2 with two pellets of T7.

Group 1-1/2" at 100 yards so OK.

Point of impact shifted left 2 inches and up 2-1/2".

The SST sits flat on the bottom of the red sabot and takes just moderate force to load.

The XTP does not go the the bottom of the green sabot and when forced down there the petals spread some. It takes a LOT of force on the rod to seat.

Anyone else noticed this? Is something wrong?

i shot them , yesterday, same thing, wow, hard to get down , there, didnt like them, gun didnt ,like them they shot high, and very right, all over the place,

I rezeroed from the 50 gr.45 SST with the red low drag sabot to the 240 gr .44 XTP with the green supplied sabot in my 50 cal CVA Optima V2 with two pellets of T7.

Group 1-1/2" at 100 yards so OK.

Point of impact shifted left 2 inches and up 2-1/2".

The SST sits flat on the bottom of the red sabot and takes just moderate force to load.

The XTP does not go the the bottom of the green sabot and when forced down there the petals spread some. It takes a LOT of force on the rod to seat.

Anyone else noticed this? Is something wrong?

I shoot 3 bullets out of my 45s 200 grain hornadys and the SSTs and 195 Barnes expanders and at 100 yards I get them all to group under an inch in the same spot if this is any help to you.

I’m with Bronko on that. Shooting a 300 grain XTP with a crush rib sabot is my cup of tea.

I have taken most of my muzzleloader big game with xtp`s. Always got good wound channels and blood trails. Frankly most of the deer folded within eyesight. Last 3-4 years I have been using the monoflex. Reason being I want to be ready if NY goes no lead. But the long history of xtp`s is in my mind a great big game bullet. Proof is in the pudding. Good day.

Must be the FTX because the ELD-Xs are 340 gr and not available yet as far as I know.
Those ELD-Xs look wicked! The FTXs are more stubby looking. As you have been shooting them how long does the base stay with the bullet? Have you picked up any downrange?
Looking at them my first impression is that there is very little contact with the rifling being only that short skirt. I'm not opposed to "mini" skirts. I mean after all that's how my wife snagged me over 50 years ago so I know they work!

I have not noticed any skirts down range, but I haven’t really looked for them also. Honestly, the range I’ve shot these at is an unmanned range and it is not cleaned very often, so there is always litter everywhere.

I will try the ELD-X when I can.
I'm shooting a 240grn xtp with the supplied black sabot with 80grn by volume blackhorn with a Winchester W209 primer and the Cci 209M primers out of my accura V2 lr. I'm getting 1in groups at 50-100 yds. I don't know exactly what sabot it is though. It's a longer sabot than the green ones. I believe that they are hornady packaged but not positive I'd have to look.

Latest posts

Back