Rezero From SST to XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those ELD-Xs look wicked! The FTXs are more stubby looking. As you have been shooting them how long does the base stay with the bullet? Have you picked up any downrange?
Looking at them my first impression is that there is very little contact with the rifling being only that short skirt. I'm not opposed to "mini" skirts. I mean after all that's how my wife snagged me over 50 years ago so I know they work!
I found some of the skirts downrange. The look like they expand well to the rifling and create a good gass check. I think they are releasing from the bullet pretty quick but I have found them out to 50 yards. I took two shots with the FTX at 200 yards into milk jugs today and they expanded pretty well I havnt weighed them yet. They sure do drop fast. Cant wait to try the ELDxIMG_5117.jpg

Man thos FTX Bore drivers shoot good out of my optima v2 though. I took them out this morning and did a three round group at 100 yards and stacked them. The top left group is from a 6.5 creedmore i am working on.20230722_091837.jpg20230722_091837.jpg

That is crazy , you can still see the burn edge of the rifling it looks like on the end of it it's almost like it called fire or was burning I sure would have been curious if that shot or the other ones that did that went into a group well and I would be curious what the manufacturer says

I wouldn't think that changing the plug would have much of an effect. But who knows. Were you allowing the barrel to cool significantly between shots? That scares me - I would not even consider those for hunting if there was a chance they’d do that in the field. No way those aren’t going to be flyers.

I would sure want to shoot another 15 or 20 of them and try to pick all of them up and look and if four or five did that just take note or those shots out of my group. And I would also do the both plug experiment again whichever plug is doing that I would not use that again sure looks like the gun likes them though and that is cool!!!

My friend and I,using the same gun and same loads. With the same bullets were using that 209 bh plug. We were chasing groups all morning. The weekend before I had belmouthed the bh209 breach plug and emailed ssk and they sent me a new one. When I was shooting this time I brought my calipers with me and noticed that the mouth of the new plug was opening up, as well as my friends. We found all the melted or half ones during those shots. When we switched to the cva 209 plug we never found a melted one and our groups got better. My friend got a 3/4 in groups with his and I was stacking with mine. I don't know, or wouldn't think that plug would have anything to do with the melting but it was a variable that both of us changed.

I did send an email to hornady, I am waiting to see what they say. I do agree that is scary. As somebody that works with thermoplastics alot it is confusing to me why thet would happen.

Those ELD-Xs look wicked! The FTXs are more stubby looking. As you have been shooting them how long does the base stay with the bullet? Have you picked up any downrange?
Looking at them my first impression is that there is very little contact with the rifling being only that short skirt. I'm not opposed to "mini" skirts. I mean after all that's how my wife snagged me over 50 years ago so I know they work!
Huh. I snagged my wife by wearing a mini-skirt also

Well it looks like that bullet shot better then the 6.5. Better put that in the safe and keep the muzzy for hunting. My 6.5 shoots .4" at 200 yards and that's a production rifle. Looks like you have your work cut out for you.
I'm anxious to see what Hornady says about those melted skirts.

Back