Boolet Inquiry?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody besides "No Excuses" make a lead conical sized just under .500? CVA says my Optima V2 pistol bore is sized at .500 and I would like to try conicals in her. I have a email into Bullshop also.
Just thought I'd save some time an ask here...

Thanks!! Bullshop says no unless I want to buy the mold, don't think so... :lol:

Haven't heard from No Excuses yet, kinda doubt it too...but I still have a box of his .451 conicals in 338gr. could always try them in a sabot for testing.

Thanks Squeeze, but I'm not into casting. I have a lot of .451 conicals I've picked up over the years. I don't want to shoot powerbelts for hunting out of this pistol, so was looking at a .490 sized lead conical to try out in 50 cal. The Optima may not like them, never know till you try... Looks like I will just have to use a sabot with the lower grained .451 boolets I have on hand.

Choo (Mountainman) sells his Lee REALS for quite a few years now. Would not hurt to shoot him an email and ask. Supposedly he was going to venture into heavier bullets / different casting molds, similar to the Lyman Plains style bullet.

[email protected]

toytruck said:
Thanks Squeeze, but I'm not into casting. I have a lot of .451 conicals I've picked up over the years. I don't want to shoot powerbelts for hunting out of this pistol, so was looking at a .490 sized lead conical to try out in 50 cal. The Optima may not like them, never know till you try... Looks like I will just have to use a sabot with the lower grained .451 boolets I have on hand.

I've shot my 451 350gr HP Gould bullets with MMP sabots out of my Lyman Deerstalker and have been quite pleased with the results especially with iron sights and my old eyes at 50yds.

Still nothing from No Excuses.. Ed I will let you know if I decide to go with your 350 gr Goulds after I shoot some of the supply I have on hand, now that I know where you are!! 8) :lol:

Try Hornady PA Conicals.

They are not the big lead going about 275 if I recall. I bet they would jam right down the barrel shoot good to boot.

Larry,
From what I read on those PA conicals they were made for a 1:66 twist barrel. The Optima is a 1:28 twist. I never heard of them wonder if they are still being made?

They are discontinued but still available at Midway USA. For $15 /50 they may be worth a try. I shot them out of my 1 /48 twist barrels with great accuracy.

The say they are .502 at the base and made with soft lead. I bet you could slam them in. I'll send you a few if you pm me your address.

No excuse sells a .500 size bullet at 460grn. you have to specify undersized when ordering. I buy them and paper patch them for a rifle that I shoot. They should work in the .500 bore as is. You could have a sizer die made at .499 for around $35. Look up Tennessee Bullet molds 731-234-5490. They have made 2 different size die for me and they are top quality

CVA has a minimum of 50 grains, and a maximum of 100 grains of powder for the pistols. They also have a maximum bullet weight at 300 grains for saboted bullets, and 400 grains for conicals.

The only conical I have shot in mine was the Hornady 350 gr FPB. Although a great bullet in my .502" rifle bores, it wasn't so good in my pistol. About 2.5" @ 50 yards IIRC.

In your other thread, never use abrasive torch tip cleaners in your flash hole. If you have fibers in there, just burn them out with a lighter. It makes me cringe, everytime I hear torch-tip cleaner and flash hole in the same sentence.

Busta said:
In your other thread, never use abrasive torch tip cleaners in your flash hole. If you have fibers in there, just burn them out with a lighter. It makes me cringe, everytime I hear torch-tip cleaner and flash hole in the same sentence.

Does the BIC lighter disintegrate the spent powder, or just soften it / break it up where it enters the flash channel?
Which?

Also, hard to believe a torch tip causes more enlargement-harm to the flash hole, than repeated time at the range with various powders. Like I stated earlier, I use a safety pin and I still have my original 2004, non-concave Omega breechplug in-shared use today, with my concave plug.

All depends on how much you shoot, and how heavy a load. Most of mine avg about 200-250 shots on a BP. And If a gun is popular on range days (newest gun, or one planned to hunt that year) I have burned more than one BP a year in some guns, on some years. It seems to happen fast, and all of a sudden, your groups just go south. BP is done, time to switch or replace the vent I usually dont touch the vent side, On occasion I poke it with a piece of wire taken from an old shark leader. (the single strand wire) that is on rare occasion at the range. usually its pretty self cleaning if the flash channel don't get too overclogged

edit: parker productions makes some .500 lead conicals 440 grn http://parker-productions-llc.myshopify.com/collections/traditional-hunter

I seem to remember Sabotloader got some lighter 50cal conicals somewhere. IIRC he shot them in the Knight UL a few times. I think they were in the 330-350gr range.

Back