Bore Cleaner - Can you use Hoppe's #9

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barrel blaster seems to be good for a few different powders. hoppes has worked for rifles and pistols but in a pinch
i will use on my accura there are some guys making homemade mixes up for black powder. check out the guys
that shoot matches with there muzzleloaders they should have a good mix. if you cant find barrel blaster.

that's easy enough to try! in a pinch. there was another mix , cant remember if it was WD 40 and peroxide
they would swab barrel every shot and dry when shooting a match. been a long time when i seen it done.

As mentioned, it depends on what powder has been used. More so, whether it’s BH209 vs. all the others. Black powder and most all subs usually need a water based cleaner (or water itself), while to clean after BH209, use anything you’d normally use on a modern rifle (Hoppes #9, etc).

back in the old days of black powder soaking barrel in tub with dish soap . still can smell the sulfur !!!!!

nice have to give it a try. not to keen on using water/soap but, comes down to personal preference. i have in the
pass H20/soap combo. years ago. i like the more modern cleaners myself. i know barrel blaster killed a breech plug
that i forgot in container. so dont forget parts in cleaner!

As said previously, solvent-based for BH209 and water-based for the rest.

that's easy enough to try! in a pinch. there was another mix , cant remember if it was WD 40 and peroxide
they would swab barrel every shot and dry when shooting a match. been a long time when i seen it done.
I have used equal parts hydrogen peroxide Murph's oil soap and 90% rubbing alcohol for T7

Back