Bore scoped a barrel.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had an offer to buy an encore barrel for my son. He liked mine so much, I figured I would check it out. I used one of those cheap endoscopes off of Amazon. Surprising how much you can see.

I went and looked at the barrel. I declined to buy it after looking inside the bore. Couldn't determine if it was lint, dust, rust or plastic from the sabots in the barrel. Looking down the bore with the naked eye, it looked fine. Looking through the bore scope told another story. Saw part of the crud ring near the breech but the other stuff bothered me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-143408.png
    Screenshot_20231221-143408.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20231221-143559.png
    Screenshot_20231221-143559.png
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Actually, that barrel doesn't look bad. It looks full of lint and dust. I find rifles at garage sales and check like you have. However, I also run a patch down the bore to verify if its dust & lint, of if the barrel's bad.

Actually, that barrel doesn't look bad. It looks full of lint and dust. I find rifles at garage sales and check like you have. However, I also run a patch down the bore to verify if its dust & lint, of if the barrel's bad.
The guy said he just cleaned it. 😒 Wasn't in the position to run a cleaning rod down the bore. I will keep looking.

I would have used that pic to get him lower on the price, but it doesn't look all that bad to me. If you can get a great deal on it, buy it. Ive seen way worse still shoot great. Unless you're buying it to put in a safe or collection. But as a hunting gun, i wouldn't hesitate if the price was right.

Back