Breechclout Crises

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I may have mentioned that I visited the Ft. Lupton Frozen Toes Rendezvous this past Saturday. I have been there several times and have visited other Rendezvous activities in the area.

One fellow who I have spoken with at these gatherings mentioned that if I show up in a sweatshirt and bluejeans again, he would throw me out (hopefully, all in jest). I did take his comments to heart and obtained some historic-style clothes. These include a pillow ticking shirt, a frock and sash, some buckskin leggings, a breechclout that goes with the leggings, and a hat.

Let's keep in mind that this is my first time in period clothing. I used the frock sash to hold the breechclout in position. Some time into the Rendezvous, the sash loosened and the breech clout dropped to the ground. :shock: :oops: 

Oh, the humanity!!

Fortunately, I had decided not to wear the leggings and stayed in my bluejeans. However, it was a lesson learned. I will tie the sash much more carefully next time!
Ron

patocazador said:
Breech clout?? Do you mean breechcloth like a loincloth?
Yup!
Breech clout is an alternative name for breechcloth.
Ron

breech·clout
ˈbrēCHklout/
noun

North American
noun: breechclout; plural noun: breechclouts; noun: breechcloth; plural noun: breechcloths

I was concerned about wearing the shirt, leggings, breechclout and period hat while driving to the Rendezvous. I asked a friend what I should say to a police officer if I were stopped. His recommendation: "Trick or Treat!"
Ron

I looked it up too:

<h2 class="post-content">Full Definition of clout</h2>
  • 1 dial chiefly British :  a piece of cloth or leather :  rag
  • 2 :  a blow especially with the hand; also :  a hard hit in baseball
  • 3 :  a white cloth on a stake or frame used as a target in archery
  • 4pull, influence <political clout>

An alternate dictionary gave this as one of the definitions:
"(regional, dated) A swaddling cloth." (In other words, a diaper.)

I'd quit using that term. We'll all be in diapers again soon enough ("Depends"). :p

Latest posts

Back