TICKS :(

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else having to deal with a high population of ticks this year?

Around here its pretty bad. When I helped a friend with that AR 22lr, I ended up with one on my leg and I'm in the wide open grass! Yesterday while waiting for a prescription, I made my way into Dunham's and bought a couple 45cal brushed. When at the check out counter, a lady had a little pup with her, which took a liking to me. While petting her, I was also checking her for ticks and mentioned so. The lady told me that she checks her constantly and every time she lets her out to piddle. Said she pulled 2 off her yesterday. Then she told me that her and her husband had some work to do and when finished, she picked 22 ticks off herself and husband.
WE NEED COLD, not 3'+ of snow to insulate them in the winter. Anyone else having problems?
YES! Vet says at least 3 crops of ticks this year both dog ticks and deer ticks (the tiny black ones that do Lyme). Since we have a childhood cancer survivor we use NO chemicals -- none. (Check out 2,4-D and childhood leukemia). A few long Island Reds and your acreage is tick free...guaranteed.

Guinea hens or ticks? I’d consider that a toss-up.
Growing up in VT there were no ticks but that sure has changed in my lifetime. Early in the spring or late fall are the worst and I’ve picked 40 or 50 off my pants during late October hunting forays.

I hear ya...not like you can board your chickens when you go away. Definitely turns you into a full time farmer...in town or country--no matter. Fortunately, this is a college town so kids always looking for some extra cash. And there is a prevet program so quite a bit of interest in nanny care

Up until fairly recently I spent an enormous amount of time out in the Georgia woods as a forester but also hunting. Ticks were never a problem and I cannot recall getting any until, oh, 25 years or so. But they are out in force now, believe me. And I also have never read about our ancestors or Native Americans having any trouble with them. That's all changed now. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence that the major problem comes from the research done at Plum Island, off the coast of Massachusetts; and ticks are not the only pathogens released over the decades. There was even a "60 Minutes" expose' a few years ago, not to mention sever articles in the papers.

Chiggers? I can't prove it but I believe they showed soon after the Earth's crust cooled.

I'm seeing them in NC. KENTUCKY is the worst place I've ever seen.When we have beans on the farm I hunt the first week Vevet hunt.The deer are covered with them.Ive seen a guys bottom legs covered with 100's of seed ticks after we tracked and recovered a deer.I actually got Rocky Mountain Spotted fever the first year.I had one on my privates.My thighs broke out in a rash.Started having headaches that last for days.Er doctors 2 months later done 20 + blood test.Results showed I had recently had it. I went untreated for two months. Medical books say it can kill you in two weeks if not treated. Only thing I can figure is the man upstairs decided it wasn't my time. I love it in Kentucky but the ticks are insane.

Last edited:
Some people who spend a lot of time in the woods develop a immunity to chiggers known in my neck of the woods as red bugs. My father was immune to chiggers and I have spoke to several foresters and loggers that had developed an immunity to them. Sure wish that was true for me.

Up until fairly recently I spent an enormous amount of time out in the Georgia woods as a forester but also hunting. Ticks were never a problem and I cannot recall getting any until, oh, 25 years or so. But they are out in force now, believe me. And I also have never read about our ancestors or Native Americans having any trouble with them. That's all changed now. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence that the major problem comes from the research done at Plum Island, off the coast of Massachusetts; and ticks are not the only pathogens released over the decades. There was even a "60 Minutes" expose' a few years ago, not to mention sever articles in the papers.

Chiggers? I can't prove it but I believe they showed soon after the Earth's crust cooled.
I’d like to know more about the Plumb Is. reasearch. I used to spend some time on the island and Newburyport. Maybe point me in the direction of some reports or expose’.
Rick

It seems that ticks pop up thick in some areas and not so much in others. I've been in the woods a few times here in PA and haven't encountered any so far.
There is a product out there that you spray on your hunting clothes and its supposed to last 30 days to repel ticks. The spray can will treat 3 outfits. I spray down my camo outfits twice a season and haven't had an issue with ticks. I also wear Under Armor base layer that fits tight so they can't really crawl under it.

Like mosquitoes which are flying syringes ticks crawl and attach but numb the skin before tapping your blood. You therefore don’t feel the attack like a mosquito. They are perfect conveyors of blood borne diseases taking from one animal and depositing into another. Lyme disease was first identified near Lyme, CT but soon spread heavily into New England and apparently haven’t stopped there. The medical establishment has yet to get a handle on this disease, the long term damage or treatment. Almost no doctors can diagnose it and because of the long list of symptoms that seem to mirror many other diseases they are reluctant to commit. An article I read in Science News last year speculated that the number of people affected by Lyme could be way beyond published figures. That if left untreated can create a spread of symptoms depending on a body’s makeup up and nervous system is almost beyond categorization. Be careful out there
Rick

The ticks were so bad in S.Ohio last year that when I got a doe during muzzleloader season it's ears were covered with ticks! I haven't seen many this summer because I put down insecticide around my house and always spray down really good before mowing grass or doing yardwork!

Like mosquitoes which are flying syringes ticks crawl and attach but numb the skin before tapping your blood. You therefore don’t feel the attack like a mosquito. They are perfect conveyors of blood borne diseases taking from one animal and depositing into another. Lyme disease was first identified near Lyme, CT but soon spread heavily into New England and apparently haven’t stopped there. The medical establishment has yet to get a handle on this disease, the long term damage or treatment. Almost no doctors can diagnose it and because of the long list of symptoms that seem to mirror many other diseases they are reluctant to commit. An article I read in Science News last year speculated that the number of people affected by Lyme could be way beyond published figures. That if left untreated can create a spread of symptoms depending on a body’s makeup up and nervous system is almost beyond categorization. Be careful out there
Rick
I had Lyme disease back in 2004 after being bitten by a tick at a golf outing in PA. I guess if I'd ever learn how to stay in the fairway I'd be better off! 🤣
Getting rid of Lyme disease was a real *****. It took a daily infusion of a high potency antibiotic called Rocephin for 30 days to finally purge it from my system.

Last edited:
I’d like to know more about the Plumb Is. reasearch. I used to spend some time on the island and Newburyport. Maybe point me in the direction of some reports or expose’.
Rick

I have several news paper articles about ticks. Here in Maine they are so bad that young moose are sometimes killed by them. One moose calf was found that had...ready for this, 100,000 ticks. This is no joke and it's been a bad year for ticks. I sprayed my hunting clothes with Permethrin and it prevented ticks from even thinking about attacking. I bought, years ago, a bottle of virtually pure Permethrin and have mixed my own since then. I mix it double strength compared with commercial spray cans and will never need to buy Permethrin again; a little goes a looong way.

I can't really help you, Garbler, as I don't know that much about it. All I can tell is that Plum Island is one of only two (2) research labs that supposedly are allowed to research many of the worst & deadly disease organisms extant. The other high level lab is on the west coast. Periodic releases - escapes - have occurred several times over the years. One such release killed a farmers sheep and the US Gov. had to pay the man a lot of money not to sue. Word on the street - articles/TV - implied that there was an attempt to "weaponize" ticks. Obviously it turned into Frankenstein's monster and here we are. Going to the computer doesn't mention this sort of thing and makes that lab sound like a nice, non-dangerous facility. Contact the 60 Minutes broadcast producers and maybe they can give you info about when the expose' was aired.

One curious thing is that the "tick museum" is now located in Georgia. Thousands and thousands of ticks are catalogued there. I believe the place is Georgia State University although there's another college in Georgia I may have mistakenly failed to check. The collection was fairly recently given to the University from the prior location in DC. Sorry I can't be of more help. This is about all I know of it.

For the first time in my life here in my area of CT we had zero snow. Ticks have been pretty bad.

So far this summer I've had three deer ticks. I just got a Lyme disease test and I'm awaiting results

I sure hope you test negative. Keep your fingers crossed. Did you see any bite marks or the big red ‘ bullseye ‘ . I never did but they say you don’t always do. Good luck

Rick
No bullseye, but found the ticks. I run my dog in the woods a few times a week and the ticks are thick. Pretty much all of my local outdoorsy friends have had Lyme.

A couple weeks back I met a waitress who is now allergic to red meat due to untreated tick born illness!!

I get tested a couple times a year to catch it early if I happen to get it.

No bullseye, but found the ticks. I run my dog in the woods a few times a week and the ticks are thick. Pretty much all of my local outdoorsy friends have had Lyme.

A couple weeks back I met a waitress who is now allergic to red meat due to untreated tick born illness!!

I get tested a couple times a year to catch it early if I happen to get it.
Gamehide elimitick clothing for you and your dog and you'll never see ticks again. I take antibiotics as soon as I get bit, test are only 25% accurate.

I've either soaked my hunting clothes in permethrin or sent them off to Insect Shield to get permanently treated. This includes socks. T shirts, gloves and hats. I also spray my boots and jackets. No desire to get Lyme disease!

Back