TICKS :(

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gamehide elimitick clothing for you and your dog and you'll never see ticks again. I take antibiotics as soon as I get bit, test are only 25% accurate.
Yeah I do the same with the antibiotics.

I’ll looking into that clothing, I assume its soaked in permethrin?

One of my shooting buddies gets a really bad red rash from permethrin. I guess it’s not real common but I think anybody who spends good money on these clothes should be aware of this

Rick
Yeah permethrin is something I’m a little leery of exposing my self to on a regular basis.

If you use, just don't let your cats get around any of it thats wet or odors even your hands or clothing, it'll kill them. Best to keep your cats away all together.

It's regularly used on cattle and horses with no issue.

They actually have an indoor application for houseplants listed in the instructions of the concentrates. Cats need to be kept away until it was dry. I have used it in a year were the ticks were so thick in NH that my grandson walked through a patch of dried goldenrods and he was crawling with ticks. Picked 50 off of him. I sat on a rock and grabbed a couple of ticks later in the day and put them on my thigh they walked about half inch and rolled up. After that, we treated his hunting pants.

When I was a kid up in northern NH boy scouts were schooled in the handbook about how to handle ticks. We all laughed because none of us had ever even seen a one. Now I doubt that you could walk across a parking lot and not pick up a couple.

Well, my wife was just diagnosed with Lyme on Thursday after 3 weeks of the worst headache she said she’s every experienced, steady 100-102 fever, body aches, fatigue, etc. Two trips to urgent care in that time yielded no answers. It wasn’t until the splotchy rashes showed up that we realized what it might be. She didn’t have a tick bite that she knew of, but we must have missed it. She’s taking doxycycline, and fingers crossed for no long-term effects.

Tick populations here in NE Ohio have soared in the last 10 years for sure. Never really worried about them prior to that.

When I left New Hampshire, which by the way, is the best state in the country for gun owners it was Lyme Disease central. My neighbor was a big animal Vet with two sons who were Fish & Game officers and they told me that by around the late 90’s the deer or black legged tick population was growing way out of proportion to all data forecasts. They told me of young moose calves and deer fawns found dead and just swarmed by these ticks. They were equipped to take blood and tissue samples looking for any sign of communicable diseases.
Rick

Well, my wife was just diagnosed with Lyme on Thursday after 3 weeks of the worst headache she said she’s every experienced, steady 100-102 fever, body aches, fatigue, etc. Two trips to urgent care in that time yielded no answers. It wasn’t until the splotchy rashes showed up that we realized what it might be. She didn’t have a tick bite that she knew of, but we must have missed it. She’s taking doxycycline, and fingers crossed for no long-term effects.

Tick populations here in NE Ohio have soared in the last 10 years for sure. Never really worried about them prior to that.
Doxy makes a person very sensitive to sunlight. Sunscreen does zero to help. Even if she's a tanner and handles sun well, don't plan things that will expose her to the sun for any long period. I drove an hour with my arm in the van window when it was partially cloudy and got third degree sunburn. And that sun sensitivity can last for a month after to meds run out.

The last deer that I got up in Littleton, while I was skinning it the same night, the ticks were following the heat until by the time I got to the neck, it was crawling with ticks, masses of ticks. Freaked me out to the point that I got a propane torch and flamed the buggers. I ended up with Lymes two years later down in Cornish. Caught it early

Doxy makes a person very sensitive to sunlight. Sunscreen does zero to help. Even if she's a tanner and handles sun well, don't plan things that will expose her to the sun for any long period. I drove an hour with my arm in the van window when it was partially cloudy and got third degree sunburn. And that sun sensitivity can last for a month after to meds run out.
Thanks for the heads up, Tom. I just read through the (extensive) list of possible side effects and precautions. Sounds like doxy can cause half the symptoms we’re trying to get rid of! Lol But she says she’s feeling much improved compared to a few days ago.

I take a heart medication that does not allow me to take many of the usual antibiotics in the penicillin line, but Doxy gets the nod should I require something and I have to take it with prednisone. Thankfully I tolerate the stuff. Its an anti-malarial medicine.

I've had the bullseye twice after removing ticks and of course ended up being dosed with doxy. Caught early enough DJ, doxy will knock any idea of Lymes off the table, so she doesn't want to miss any doses. Tell her to keep well hydrated while taking it

I know this is an older thread but I am going to chime in here . I lived near Lyme, CT in the 80s. Hunted and fished all over South Eastern CT and never saw a tick while I was there. In 1985, our workplace gave a seminar that highlighted what Lyne disease can do to you and what to look for as far as symptoms. Fast forward to 1997 and the ticks started showing up on our dog at our new home in Upstate NY. In May of 2008 I got bit by a tick ( never saw him) but I got a bullseye rash that was 8" across. I was giving a script of doxy for 10 days. In Aug (2008), I began getting headaches, joint aches, heart palpitations and vision issues. I knew immediately from my 1985 seminar that I had Lyme. I went to see a Lyme Dr who sent blood samples to the Mayo clinic. I was in his words "loaded". I was given a 6 week script for doxy and Cipro. The mg amounts were so high the pharmacist refused to fill them without confirmation from the Dr. In one week I began to experience herximer reactions from the meds doing their thing. I shook and sweated so bad that I thought twice about taking more antibiotics. This went on for about a week. The antibiotics were taken for approximately 6 months on and off. I had to have blood tests every 20 days to check to make sure that my liver functions were ok. Residual damage from a tick bite is periodic muscle twitching since the bite ,and allergies to milk proteins. I consider myself lucky when I saw people in the Drs office in wheel chairs, using canes and crutches , some just sat their looking drained. The response I got from our local Dr in 2008 was" it's just an infection". My need to get better care for Lyme disease came from that seminar in 1985. The Medical community was too slow in their response to accepting & treating Lyme. I can't tell you how many times I have heard someone say "I had all these symptoms for years and they finally determined it was Lyme disease". Question for you all. Why is it I can take my dog to the vet, they can draw blood and determine my dog has Lyme in 20 min but my Dr has to wait 2 weeks?

Given the very warm temps and absence of a lot of snow, the ticks are out in full force here in Minnesota. Heck, they're tapping maples and boiling syrup already, big time. I'm concerned out spring bulbs will pop and then we'll get winter again. Our normal lows for this time of year are single digits. Last night the low was 31 here at home.

Given the very warm temps and absence of a lot of snow, the ticks are out in full force here in Minnesota. Heck, they're tapping maples and boiling syrup already, big time. I'm concerned out spring bulbs will pop and then we'll get winter again. Our normal lows for this time of year are single digits. Last night the low was 31 here at home.
LOL............. The ground isn't frozen here yet. Next summer will likely be bad.

Ditto

My at home weather station just hit 60. Still January and 60 degrees gives a whole new meaning to January thaw. And they're predicting 40 of some degree for the next two weeks.

What kind of weather station?

Had it for several years now. On a mast ten feet off the garage roof. Wind speed and direction. Rainfall totals. Temperature, relative humidity, dew point. All I do is take it down each spring to put new batteries in it and it tells me everything I need to know about the weather. I just looked for the pamphlet that came with it but can't find it so the next time I have it down for the battery change I'll get a picture along with the maker's name. There's a digital unit in the house so I can read what's what without going outside. Couple hundred bucks for it and not at all sorry I spent the $$$ on it. Handier than hell when getting data for my fishing log sheets.

Here's the unit I have....
www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations/acurite-iris-personal-weather-stations/pro-5-in-1-weather-station-with-wifi.html

Had it for several years now. On a mast ten feet off the garage roof. Wind speed and direction. Rainfall totals. Temperature, relative humidity, dew point. All I do is take it down each spring to put new batteries in it and it tells me everything I need to know about the weather. I just looked for the pamphlet that came with it but can't find it so the next time I have it down for the battery change I'll get a picture along with the maker's name. There's a digital unit in the house so I can read what's what without going outside. Couple hundred bucks for it and not at all sorry I spent the $$$ on it. Handier than hell when getting data for my fishing log sheets.

Here's the unit I have....
www.acurite.com/shop-all/weather-instruments/weather-stations/acurite-iris-personal-weather-stations/pro-5-in-1-weather-station-with-wifi.html
Yup, AcuRite makes a dandy unit. I've been using them for close to 20yrs. My problem is living inside a forest, where wind readings are rarely actual.

This is the unit I'm using........
https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/we...-gray-hd-display-and-lightning-detection.html

Latest posts

Back