Brownell's #083-000-011 Sabot Solvent...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I got my Henry Ball #69 out today and absolutely scrubbed the crap out of it from one end to the other. I used Hoppe's #9 first and then used the Brownell's Sabot Solvent. It occured to me that the sabot solvent should, well, dissolve sabots! :idea: So I put some of the sabot solvent in a Mason jar and put in a MMP .458/.50 sabot and a Harvester .50 long sabot, both current formulations.

2005rangepics%20225.jpg

2005rangepics%20226.jpg

I took both of them out at 2 minutes and checked them. They looked and felt good as new so I put them back in to soak some more. I re-checked them at 10 minutes. Both sabots again looked and felt as good as new. I thought to myself well here goes...I left them in the solvent for a TOTAL TIME of THREE HOURS! I took the sabots out and observed them both...AGAIN...BOTH SABOTS APPEARED to be good as NEW! :wall:

2005rangepics%20229.jpg

Conclusion... :?:
Current formulation sabots are TOUGH. A sabot solvent needs to be tough as WELL! The Brownell's #083-000-011 Sabot Solvent appears to disolve powder residue well but absolutely DOESN'T do the one thing it is ADVERTISED to do and that is dissolve sabots. :huh?:

Not recommended.. :(

Actually Chuck I don't thinl any solvent on the market will dissolve sabots, what the sabot solvents actually are supposed to so is loosen the bond between the barrel and the sabot residue allowing you to remove the unwanted sabot material.

Rifleman said:
Actually Chuck I don't thinl any solvent on the market will dissolve sabots, what the sabot solvents actually are supposed to so is loosen the bond between the barrel and the sabot residue allowing you to remove the unwanted sabot material.

Dwight..You may be correct. But wouldn't the correct nomenclature be "Sabot Residue Removal Aid" or "Sabot Residue Remover?" The term solvent can only mean "the ability to dissolve other substances." Such an example would be water is the apporpriate solvent for most salts such as NaCl and KCl, et al. The Brownells "solvent" didn't even some close.

Probalbly right about the correct useage of the word solvent Chuck, but I guess it is all about the marketing.

the hopps benchrest in the black bottle removes plastic residue.....i use it regularly for years.....i think the solvent remove the burnt plastic residue not disolve new sabots.

Chuck:

I did the same thing, but left the sabots in for 24 hrs. Nothing that I tried dissolved (or seemed to touch) the sabots. Here's what was used. I had a bunch of small glass jars, so I put a sabot in each then put in about 1/2" of "solvent".

Methacrolate (spelling?) It's the solvent that is used to melt/bond the flesh colored plastic used to make partials (false teeth)
Brownell's Sabot Solvent
CVA Sabot Solvent
Butches Bore Shine
Shooters Choice plastic/lead/copper remover
Acetone
Lacquer Thinner
MEK

:(

Maybe Del has some tips or suggestions?

Latest posts

Back