Browning Arms Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skamaniac

Reaction score
I picked up a .54 cal Browning Mountain Rifle. Does anyone know anything about them? Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Not sure what kind of loads it will shoot.

The Browning Mountain Rifle was supposed to be an excellent rifle. I have never seen one, but have read of people that own them and claim they are a great shooter.

Being a .54 caliber I would start it out with 80 grains of 2f powder and a patched .530 roundball and see what happens. Keep us posted and if you can, throw a picture up of it. The Browning Mountain Rifle was always renowned to have beautiful wood stocks on them and nice hardware to wood fit...

Also let me take this advantage to welcome you to the forum. It's great to have you here....

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I'll get a pic as soon as i get get my camera back from my duaghter.

I had one in 54. It was a good shooter. I killed several deer using: 120 grains 2F, 535 ball, lightly lubed patch and a sacrifical patch over the powder.

I used to own a .50. It was a roundball gun. Roundballs worked best. I don't remember the patch thickness I used.

Browning

I have 2 a 50cal and 54 cal.

My favorite load 54 cal is a .530 remington Golden Ball with a .018 Patch lubed with Mink Oil and 90 gr of 777 2F with a Mag No 11 primer.

Back