Bullet Seating Pressure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
Howdy. New guy with some questions on seating a bullet………
Will be using White Hots w/ Bore Driver FTX bullets in a new Optima V2.

Having never loaded a muzzleloader before, I’ve been studying a lot here. Mostly older posts. Wanted someone whose may have experience with combo I’m going to use. I welcome all comments!

I don’t want to feel it bottom out and then push a tad more and crush the pellets. How much is just right/too much? Thanks!

Howdy. New guy with some questions on seating a bullet………
Will be using White Hots w/ Bore Driver FTX bullets in a new Optima V2.

Having never loaded a muzzleloader before, I’ve been studying a lot here. Mostly older posts. Wanted someone whose may have experience with combo I’m going to use. I welcome all comments!

I don’t want to feel it bottom out and then push a tad more and crush the pellets. How much is just right/too much? Thanks!
You're in the right group to ask all these type questions. Congrats on your first smoker. I've shot lots & lots of pellets in my younger days when the inlines first came out. As far as bullet seating pressure goes, you just want the bullet to bottom out on top of the pellets. No more pressure is needed. Any more than just seating the bullet on top of the pellets will potentially crush those pellets. Thats a No Bueno there. Its pretty basic & simple, let common sense guide you. Once you drop your pellets, seat the bullet firmly on top of the pellets, WITNESS MARK YOUR RAMROD at the muzzle. You'll be fine. Good shooting. Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading, it's a blast.

Good advice above. 👍

After you load few times, “you’ll know” when things are seated. Usually. 😆

That’s where a witness mark on your ramrod can confirm things, sort of like a “belt and suspenders,” or “measure twice, cut once” approach. It could potentially be a life saver- literally!

If you’re shooting a propellant which makes a “crud ring,” (see: Triple Se7en), that’s one thing that can throw you off, causing you to stop your projectile above the powder charge- very dangerous! That’s where that witness mark earns its keep…

In my experience l, the crud ring develops over multiple shots, so you can “feel” it forming. It likely won’t just show up, yelling, “Surprise!” 😆

Swabbing between shots can minimize the crud ring, if you try T7. Different shooters have their own ritual, as far as limiting/eliminating the crud ring. I’ve never used the White Hots, so I don’t know if they cause problems, or not.

Good luck, have a “blast!” 🤠

My new Optima V2 and some accessories just came in today. I’m really excited. Got almost everything I need to head to the field or range. Just a few odds and ends, but one biggie, PRIMERS!

Welcome muzzleloaders. Some good advice given already.
209 primers are in short supply. When they are available, they sell out pretty quick.
Keep your eye out for them in your local shops or online sources like Midway USA or Natchez Shooting Supply.
Be careful about online scam sites that say they have in stock when nobody else has.

“What deermanok said!“ 👍

MidwayUSA has had Federal 209A primers in stock several times recently, Brownell’s had Cheddite primers for $55/K this week. Others have had them as well, these are just suppliers that I happened to see. Deerman gives a valid warning about fake sights, as well- they’ve become rampant. Buy from a supplier you know and trust.

Sign up for their “Notify When Back In Stock” emails. Supplies are improving, but when you get an “In-Stock” email, buy them RIGHT AWAY.

Paying a premium, and/or HazMat and shipping stinks, but 1,000 primers will last a L-O-N-G time in a muzzleloader! 😆

I have made two 209 primer purchases over the last couple of months, and now I have a supply of primers for years. Literally!
(Not bragging, just stating. It’s a nice, warm fuzzy feeling!) 😇

I have done as you guys advise. Midway, Natchezss, Powder Valley, all places I have used. I have also checked the “Please Advise” button……Had I known I was going to get into MLing, I’da stocked up long time ago. Even got pellets yesterday with the high HazMat fee, jeesh!

Very comfortable with my smokeless primer situation! Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back