bullets again???????????????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
well what about lyman shocker series 335grain ??? change to an MMP sabot and go the 38-40 grains of 5744, i believe it would be a 125 yards or less and could be a real whitetail pounder. guys what do you all think?

If your goal is low recoil hunting loads, as stated elsewhere-- I believe you are FAR better off with a 250 XTP.

oh i am wondering about these for short range knockdown, your articles seem to lead one to want a lead bullet, just curious to see if anyone has tried them thats all.
I did find a cure for recoil LOL HAD MY STOCK FITTED lol
difference is amazing when it was 1.5 inches too long and had a sims pad added but lower recoil loads are interesting, like for my children.

well cecil epp has a keith nose conical that is 550 grains in 54cal (it was a 650grain but was a pain to make) and it hits deer like anything i gave seen with 100 grains of 777 ,29 kills between 5 guys, i would like the same massive energy dump with associated shock from a load in my savage i am looking for complete pass thru on double lung shots and yet if needed break both shoulders and in that case it does not have to exit i want this performance on whitetails and hogs(within reason 300lbs and under) thats why all the questions i would love to hear from everyone on this board on what game,bullet, shot placement, and load and yardage game was taken maybe we can all learn from this!!!!!!!!!!!

well what about lyman shocker series 335grain ???

I have those bullets right here. One of the poorer quality bullets I have seen. The lead is obviously not pure lead at all as they are REALLY hard. I think they are a waste of money.

i would like the same massive energy dump with associated shock from a load in my savage i am looking for complete pass thru on double lung shots and yet if needed break both shoulders

The obvious bullets for you to try are the Barnes Expanders, Partition Golds, and A-Frames. Use the one that is most accurate for you and your gun.

i agree they were ugly yet theyshoot well lol and deer were killed with them
but ugly yes

savageml10-2 said:
i agree they were ugly yet theyshoot well lol and deer were killed with them
but ugly yes

That kind of bullet weight is only needed when shooting a bullet not much faster than you could throw it.

For smokeless energies available you are better served with jacketed bullets, period.

RW is right about the 250 xtp being an excellent choice and has plenty of "dumped" energy.

I personally prefer the 250 SST at about 2650 fps. Talk about some "dump", try a bullet/setup muzzle energy in the upper 3k ft/lbs.

Accuracy in your gun is the most important anyway.

wow what kind of sabot are you using? pm me i am curious i would be afraid of bullet failure at that speed! i am torn between the sst and the xtp yet the barnes has its merits i would like an exit wound for trailing

i would be afraid of bullet failure at that speed!

As would I. If the shot were close and quartering away or to... I'd have to pass. That's a LOT of velocity for a bullet designed for 2200-2300fps max.

big6x6 said:
i would be afraid of bullet failure at that speed!

As would I. If the shot were close and quartering away or to... I'd have to pass. That's a LOT of velocity for a bullet designed for 2200-2300fps max.

The 8 point I shot at 20 yds last year thought it quite effective. The bullet hit the shoulder and did fragment, had several small exits. And a very dead in his tracks buck that dressed just a tad over 200 lbs.

The year before took a buck @ 275 yds hit in the ribs and passed thru with single exit hole and went about 30 yds.

Have used for about 10 doe kills so far and have not tracked one yet.

Average recovery distances have been equal or less than the 7 mm mag used during gun season and it is pushing the 139 sst at just over 3250 fps.

savageml10-2 said:
wow what kind of sabot are you using? pm me i am curious i would be afraid of bullet failure at that speed! i am torn between the sst and the xtp yet the barnes has its merits i would like an exit wound for trailing

MMP HPH 24 bare, no sub base or wonder wad!

savage shooter what kind of powder? wow pm me with it it sounds like a groundhog load lol i guess i want a total pass thur and energy transfer so will an xtp 240-250grain or the 300? 250or300 barnes i want the hit like is shown in the video on randys website ball vs ms doe yet if i make a bad shot have a total pass-thru i will have a good blood trail to follow if the SST will do it great but again i keep reading of bullet failure with the sst but is that due to guys pushing it way past its velocity limits? i dunno? but then if one wants to practice alot as i do (ok its still fun to shoot :lol: :arrow: ) the 1.50 per bullet of the barnes is prohibitive

At 2650 are you getting any plastic fouling? I also assume you are using a slower powder.. :?:

savageml10-2 said:
i would like the same massive energy dump with associated shock from a load in my savage

What is "energy dump" supposed to mean?

ok i when i hit deer out to around 125 yrds with either of my knights one is a 50 cal 295 powerbelt hp with 110grains of 777 or a pr ultimate550 grain keith style maxi hollow point in 54 cal with 105grains of777 deer hit in the sweet spot or a double shoulder hit the deer look like you clotheslined them with a flying bulldozer tosses them 5-10 feet flipping them around like a rag doll thats what i am referring to a (dump) of energy and i almost always get total penetration and a double blood trail due to this pass thru sorry i do not always make myself clear :oops:
maybe this will clarify!!!!!!!!!

savageml10-2 said:
ok i when i hit deer out to around 125 yrds with either of my knights one is a 50 cal 295 powerbelt hp with 110grains of 777

What you are describing is an animal's reaction as you think it is, but it not physically possible for a bullet to move a deer like that-- if it was, it would be moving you in similar fashion. Most 295 gr. Powerbelts do not fare particularly well... all they are is light lead conicals.

Latest posts

Back