Bullets for whitetails out to 250 yards?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sabotloader said:
Bigeclipse said:
Hello everyone,
I have been muzzleload hunting the past few years. I'm able to hunt a field from a box blind out to 250 yards, but always kept my shots inside 100 yards. I own a CVA optima V2 and have an Accura on the way. My current bullet is Hornady 240 xtps. They shoot well (about 1.25inches at 100 yards) but looking for other options. I would like to be able to cover the entire field so I will need a bullet which will do well on white tail deer out to 250 yards. Open to all ideas.

FYI- I am not a novice shooter and do understand bullet drop and do have a range finder to help judge yards and adjust elevation.

I am late entering this conversation... but I would like to suggest to to look at the Lehigh Defense site. Specifically either the .452x240CF-HP or even better might be the .452x265CF-HP

These are not the best pictures but they should give you a idea of what the bullets look like. They are copper - no lead.

.452x265

265_Misc_Pics.jpg

This is a picture of a .452x240...

Lehigh_240.jpg

I can attest to the deadlyness of the 265 @ 220 yards and have no doubt that they will go to 250 without a problem

This is a computed sheet with 100 yard zero for the 265 shot with 120 gr. (volume) BH-209. I only extended it out to 225 yard but it should give the information you might need. I usually compute these with a 3" PBR, but have to do so here.

452x265_HP.jpg.jpg

This is the 240 with a 3" computed PBR

Lehigh_451x230_CF_HP_120_T7.jpg

Hope some of this might help...

which sabots would you use with the 265s? thanks!

In a Optima you would probably want either the MMP HPH-24 or the Harvester Smooth Black (for upto 300gr bullets).

What sabot are you using for your 240gr XTP?

GM54-120 said:
In a Optima you would probably want either the MMP HPH-24 or the Harvester Smooth Black (for upto 300gr bullets).

What sabot are you using for your 240gr XTP?
I actually have an accura v2 as my primary muzzleloader now (got it used for a price I couldn’t pass up). Anyways I use the green ribbed harvesters for my 240xtps and get excellent accuracy with 120grains bh209 (about 1inch groups) at 100 yards. Never tested it past that yet though and did not chrono it

Well then you have answered your own question. If the green Crushribs work for you then the black should work also with a .452 bullet. Both are similar OD and length. The black might feel a bit tighter though since there is less plastic to compress.

Normally according to what ive seen though the smooth sabots are a better fit in the newer CVAs. HPH-24 would be just slightly tighter and its a longer sabot.

Latest posts

Back