Button to Booners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokin' Joe said:
Here is something I have saved on my favorites on a whitetail bucks growth.  Some of you may have seen this before but I find it quite interesting.

Enjoy:
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

Coincidentally, The fella that wrote this article is from Bath NY (I believe) about an hour NW of where I live. I have heard of him for years but never had an opportunity to hear him speak. Well, two nights ago a friend called and asked if my wife and I would like to join him in late March for a game dinner put on by a local church. He told me Charles would their guest speaker that evening so I'm finally going to get the chance and I'm thrilled!

BPS

The Mrs. and I attended the dinner with guest speaker Charles Alshiemer Saturday evening and we both enjoyed it very much. The main focus of his presentation was about the phases of the rut and their predictability with relation to moon phases. He also had a very in depth photo presentation of the overall life of a deer throughout the year from when bucks begin to develop antlers through the end of the breeding cycle and they begin to shed them. I highly recommend that anyone who gets an opportunity to hear Charles Alsheimer speak do so.

BPS

:Red tup:

Thanks for posting that Joe.  Very interesting material.

Ray......... :ttups:

Just a personal note...

Not only is the man a renowned whitetail research expert, he's an expert hunter... you should have seen some of the photos of bucks he's taken with a bow/shotgun/rifle. This guy is top notch but the nice thing about him is he doesn't come across like he's above you like so many others in his field do.

BPS

If a man intends or wants to down BIG BUCKS....it can't be done by shooting immature deer! It's a process that requires PATIENCE and hunting in an area that HAS BIG BUCKS! I did not kill a buck in Kansas last season but I saw at least 25-30 bucks; young deer that in a couple more years will become shooters! The 'wait'....is worthwhile! :lol: :Salute:

I agree 100% Sharpsman.  Unfortunately, in my experience, which is mostly public lands hunting, is that everyone wants to shoot a nice mature buck but there are very, very few hunters that will pass up deer to allow them to grow to maturity.  In Northern Missouri, the Wildlife  Management Area where I go turkey hunting has signs posted that a legal buck must have 4 points on one side.  I personally like this law.

Smokin' Joe said:
I agree 100% Sharpsman.  Unfortunately, in my experience, which is mostly public lands hunting, is that everyone wants to shoot a nice mature buck but there are very, very few hunters that will pass up deer to allow them to grow to maturity.  In Northern Missouri, the Wildlife  Management Area where I go turkey hunting has signs posted that a legal buck must have 4 points on one side.  I personally like this law.
I hunted near Swan Lake Wildlife Area for six years; took some nice bucks there! Got a friend lives in Sumner and visit with him quite often! Great area! :cheers: :cheers:

Buddy tells me there were quite a few deer found with CWD in some of the surrounding areas!! :| :|

Latest posts

Back