Carbine length for .54 percussion with round ball and RS?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpicva

Reaction score
Anyone have a clue?

I'd like to shorten a Hawken style to a carbine. What's a reasonable length that still allows me to use a "full" charge effectively?

24" so we have at least a half turn on the ball?

If you really feel the need to short one... 20-24 inches is pretty good. I use 22 inch Knight rifles as my walking around rifles and tree rifles and they work excellent at that length. Of course you're limited to about 100 grains of effective powder burn at that length.

well, lopping off 8 in. of a 1" octagonal barrel should significantly reduce the weight. that's the real goal....weight reduction.

The Green Mountain Carbine Barrel I purchased is 22 inches. I just measured it. It fits my Hawken Flintlock Rifle. And with that barrel on, that is an awesome little rifle. I don't think I would go shorter then that as you need to keep in mind you need a ramrod guide also.

I'd be willing to bastardize the rifle and carry the shortened rod if need be, but even 24" sounds good to me.

I agree with 22 inches . If you want a carbine that is. I prefer a long barrel 32 better yet 34 inches

1874sharpsshooter said:
I agree with 22 inches . If you want a carbine that is. I prefer a long barrel 32 better yet 34 inches

for aesthetics or for function? what are the tradeoffs for a shorter barrel?

guitarpicva said:
1874sharpsshooter said:

for aesthetics or for function? what are the tradeoffs for a shorter barrel?
For function, I shoot 110 to 120 gr powder and so the longer barrel is better . Plus the longer barrel is more accurate and balances better . It is also steadier for offhand shooting . Most of my sidelocks are 32 and 34 so I guess I'm just used to those lengths. That's just me , lots of people like a carbine I'm just not one of them . But if that's what you want I would go with 22 inches .

I don't think the barrel is more accurate, but having a longer sight radius makes the shooter more accurate.

My Encore is 26" so taking a couple more inches wouldn't seem to affect sight radius all that much.

I would likely shoot 80-90 grains since the idea is for Eastern wood lots where long shots are unusual. No needs for "mag" loads at 50 yards or less.

guitarpicva said:
I don't think the barrel is more accurate, but having a longer sight radius makes the shooter more accurate.

My Encore is 26" so taking a couple more inches wouldn't seem to affect sight radius all that much.
Longer barrel in a round ball gun means better powder burn , higher velocity , flatter shooting which translates into better accuracy since I shoot 120 gr ,but you are right if you are shooting 80 gr the extra barrel length probably wouldn't help

Latest posts

Back