Carbon Build Up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterny

Reaction score
Went from IMR 4759 to 5744 just to try a different powder keep getting carbon build up behind vent after just a few shots(12) can't get it to group
using cci mag primers anyone else getting carbon build up with the 5744?? :roll:

You bet. :wink:

A .033 ventliner cuts it in half. The carbon is from the primer, not the propellant.

I've seen the same thing with 4759 and I'm using RW's vent liners with Winchester 209's.

You get the most carbon from the hottest breechplug, the Federal 209A. No issue, but you need to drill it all out every 100 shots. Some folks never have. :shock:

By the time 500 shots were fired, the breechplug was FULL.

But, it still shot MOA.

RandyWakeman said:

But, it still shot MOA.

Not mine. One Pack of primers is the most i can go. Of course, thats with your old ventliner. The new ventliner will increase no# of shots for sure. How many out of my gun????

Grouse said:
RandyWakeman said:

But, it still shot MOA.

Not mine. One Pack of primers is the most i can go. Of course, thats with your old ventliner. The new ventliner will increase no# of shots for sure. How many out of my gun????

The 500 shot "ordeal" was just testing. I've never gone that long before; no reason to again. The bore was never swabbed. Only a thread of flashhole was left through the plug.

I still drill them out after 100 shots, just a lot less carbon to drill out. I should be able to finish off a deer after that many shots. :?

RandyWakeman said:
You bet. :wink:

A .033 ventliner cuts it in half. The carbon is from the primer, not the propellant.
The vent I'm using now is one of your first vents I just installed a new one
and the carbon build up started,had savage vent in the gun with about 60 shots on it :wink:

I'm not sure what the point is. :? Carbon fouling in a breechplug begins from shot number 1. If you can't detect it on your chrono, it is moot.

The ventliner saga started with the std. Savage liners. The complaint was poor life, and erratic sizes.

It became a real issue to me when testing 3 hole ventliners, burning out FIVE in one day. That is why I had to manufacture my own. The .031 flash hole was started with. The goal was long life. That was achieved. I could not get them to erode after 500 shots, Mark Anthony gave up trying.

Now that the life issue was a known non-issue, the next step was to find the accuracy point that was best for "most powders". .033" was the size decided upon, after testing .030" - .037" liners. That's the story.

It goal was long life as #1, accuracy became #2, and the lessened carbon build up was a bonus-- but, a welcomed one.

Rifleman said:
I put the .033 liner in my rifle yesterday RW, thanks. Rman

Try my load with that vent liner and the 250 sst with clipped HPH 24 sabots and see what happens!

Let me know!

Not using a Savage I know, but I get carbon build up also. My preffered cleaning method now uses a drill bit to remove it. This is in the 15-20 shot per session range.

Back