did you build or buy your smokeless ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
i've noticed most here build their SML's and only few buy a ready made SML . is that because y'all already have actions and just need barrels so it doesn't cost as much ? or do you feel you get better quality that way than say a woodman patriot ? you like the tinkering/building process ? you like bragging rights saying you did it or having something very few if anybody has that's exactly the same gun ? and probably other reasons i can't grasp since i'm on the outside looking in .

i'm sure there's other reasons but i'm just curious about y'all's reasons for building or buying ?
i'll be buying because i have zero gun smithing skills and zero desire to hurt or kill myself or someone else nearby .
i'm sure some of you do both , but what are y'alls thought's and reasons for building vs. buying ?

and feel free to brag on your SML's or their builds :)

As a poor younger man that fell in love with bolt action rifles I had a passion to build my own, I had a couple of gunsmiths who took me under their wing taught me the basics enough to build a bolt action rifle from start to finish. I've never had a desire to do it for anyone other than friends and self. For me two reasons!!! Cost number1,,and 2,,love doing as much of the build as I can, most of the guns I've put together if I really studied the numbers I'm able to put together for a little bit less than half of what it would cost me to buy the gun new. I must say this if I had the means I would buy new, but I would still build too.

One thing I will say about the conversions they are much more practical as hunting rifles, you can however, if you study the build carefully build a bolt action that has very practical ,easy handling weight and ergonomics also,, the Defiance anti-6 and 1/2 lb carbon wrapped Blackhorn rifle I put together a couple of years ago with the 14 twist Wilson shot 250 and 275 grain Fury 40 Cals less than 3/4 of an inch I took the gun apart and I'm building another rifle out of the action on a 16 twist loathor Walter,,, to shoot the 400 Gr bullets I've been working with. I know many of you are addicted to buying a new Muzzleloader I think it's even worse if you build them, I can't get it out of my system having retired now and having limited funds is going to be a challenge.

I put 3 Remington 700ML conversions together. I like to tinker and save a buck when I can. I bought the tools to take the old barrels off and install new ones. I did my own inletting on the stocks and installed aluminum pillars and used JB weld for the bedding job. I learned a lot along the way and the end results exceeded my expectations. All 3 use 209 primers.

1st one put together
W7ud7zk.jpg

No. 2
1yq70zl.jpg

No.3, a little lighter and put together for lighter loads using a sabot.
iFWWiZC.jpg

These two were 45-70's converted to SML's, I sent these to Bestill to convert because I don't have the tools to cut threads, maybe someday. They are lighter weight treestand/stalking SML's and use brass modules with LRM primers, also excellent shooters.
3mC4HKt.jpg

yjVVJXr.jpg

Last edited:
I could do a build myself but I don't have the equipment and/or time. All I did was obtained a black/blue CVA 45-70 Scout. I sent the action and barrel with a money order to a guy in N.C. I told him which breech plug I wanted. He ordered it and installed it. In a very short time he had it ready to go.

I’m a DIY guy in most everything I do. I forge my own knives, build fly rods, tie flies, reload, design and build tents, mount my own trophies, build and modify rifles, etc, etc.

I do it for all the reasons you mention, Jeff. Why pay someone else to do something I can do better and cheaper myself? I end up with exactly what I (think) I want (or the ability to make it what I want). And, if nothing else, it allows me to be intimately familiar with my gear.

i've noticed most here build their SML's and only few buy a ready made SML . is that because y'all already have actions and just need barrels so it doesn't cost as much ? or do you feel you get better quality that way than say a woodman patriot ? you like the tinkering/building process ? you like bragging rights saying you did it or having something very few if anybody has that's exactly the same gun ? and probably other reasons i can't grasp since i'm on the outside looking in .

i'm sure there's other reasons but i'm just curious about y'all's reasons for building or buying ?
i'll be buying because i have zero gun smithing skills and zero desire to hurt or kill myself or someone else nearby .
i'm sure some of you do both , but what are y'alls thought's and reasons for building vs. buying ?

I picked out all my own components, ordered my own barrels, contoured to my own spec's, custom ordered my own stocks, I put everything together & sent it all off to my builder, on my 2nd one now. I would not be opposed to buying someone elses build, or DIY kit, as long as it was suited to me & my intended use for it. But nothing like taking your own ideas, your own design, and custom ordering everything yourself, then telling your builder " this is what I want you to do with my build ". The only thing in my mind that would be far more satisfying is to actually have the skillset & equip to build it from your own concept 100% yourself.

I picked out all my own components, ordered my own barrels, contoured to my own spec's, custom ordered my own stocks, I put everything together & sent it all off to my builder, on my 2nd one now. I would not be opposed to buying someone elses build, or DIY kit, as long as it was suited to me & my intended use for it. But nothing like taking your own ideas, your own design, and custom ordering everything yourself, then telling your builder " this is what I want you to do with my build ". The only thing in my mind that would be far more satisfying is to actually have the skillset & equip to build it from your own concept 100% yourself.
I have no idea how I managed to screw this post up & can't delete it. Oh well

I built my bolt action myself for $ reasons. Bought a used Savage rifle for a donor ordered a pre fit barrel from Hankins. Piece of cake. I've got about half the money in it as if I would of bought one already built. Hankins has done all my Scout conversions for obvious reasons.

i'm sure there's other reasons but i'm just curious about y'all's reasons for building or buyin
i'm sure some of you do both , but what are y'alls thought's and reasons for building vs. smokelessbuying ?

Good post JeffB. This is something I know for myself I'd never try. Always drives me crazy seeing someone gun smithing at the kitchen table (that be me).Would love a Woodman fifty smokeless with a 1in24 twist.

I plan to half ass build mine myself from a 700ML action. I want it to be different, something you wont ever see setting on a shelf somewhere. I just got my laminated blank a few weeks ago. I just need to get it sent out to richards to have it cut and shaped into the design i want. Then once i get that back, ill send it to a member here for the barrel swap and pillars added. Then once i get everything back ill polish up my stock real nice and post the entire build here so everyone can see it. Itll be a while yet. I always gotta be different, or stand out somewhat from the rest..

I like that a lot,,,, my mini howa is the only one I know of,,my howa 1500 is rare,,the 6.5lb scoped Defiance- anti was unique,, I love different!! Richard's microfit in California I see you mentioned does cut stocks for the 700 ml it'll make a really nice addition to a unique custom build

Just to put a builder bug in folks ear,, there are quite a few sources for barrels and barrel nuts for Remington 700s ,,howa mini,,1500 etc,,, some of the sources are not interested in installing a breach plug it's not that big a deal,, order your Barrel in 450-58 in 18 or 20 twist threaded for your action whether shoulder or barrel nut ,there are sources that do both find you a local gunsmith that will do the plug install put your rifle together and head down the road if you're not comfortable with doing wood work and stock work buy a stock that has bedding block system in it tighten it up ready to go much cheaper than a $5,000 rifle build

I have done at least half a dozen based on the Sav ML II platform. Various replacement barrels, .375, .40 and two different sizes of .45s. Some I changed the recoil lug. Three holes, pillar bedded and glassed and different solid wood stocks. Sanded and put the finish on the stocks also. I enjoy tinkering but only have one more to do I think. Really should thin the herd but some of the family enjoy shooting them IF I get everything ready. If I am not around they may use straightwalls in .350 Legend or 45-70.

I am not a gun builder for a living, I am not a chainsaw builder for a living. I am yes a tinkerer & I don't mind assembling either in the kitchen. lol I use our oven to heat chainsaw cases to put new bearings in. I work on the island with my saw & gun projects. When I build something i can do it as my money allows me to do it & however long that takes is ok. I can't just send someone thousands - I have had a lot of fun building along the way. I have had a lot more chainsaws by learning to work on them myself. Don't be afraid!

Latest posts

Back