Woodman Brux .45 Omega Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the new Brux barrel for my Omega build. Mark Woodman did a fantastic job as expected. I put it in a Boyd’s Pro Varmint, bedded the recoil lugs, free-floated the barrel (ahead of the forward lug), bedded the rail and slapped an SWFA SS 16x scope on it. I also installed a second steel recoil bar horizontally through the stock immediately behind the rear lug for added strength. (I’ll make a separate post about this but it seems that the stock is weak in that area.)

26” Brux .45 barrel 1:20 twist nitrided
1.1” shank -.890” at muzzle
Woodman adjustable 209 plug (.035” stainless bushing)
Woodman picatinny rail
MZ Rex brake
Boyd’s Pro Varmint stock w adj comb
Trigger 1.75 lb
Nitrided swing breech/trigger guard
SWFA SS 16x42
Spartan bipod

View attachment 33738

View attachment 33741
View attachment 33742

I shot some H4198 and N120 with smooth-sized Fury 250, 275, 300 and 325 gr bullets. The first two rounds out of the rifle (250 Fury/51 gr H4198) went into the same hole at 25 yards as I was checking the bore sighting/scope, so I was optimistic right off the bat.

The wind, however, was terrible today at 15-25 mph, so none of the groups at 50 yards were anything to write home about. Best was a three shot group with Fury 300 gr and 52.8 gr of H4198 at about .43” with a couple other combos in the .5” range. I had fun learning the rifle and sizing bullets.

View attachment 33739

View attachment 33737

Can’t wait to do some more shooting today or tomorrow when the wind calms down.

I fired about 25 shots then cleaned the bore and plug. Here’s a pick of the plug and you can see the carbon build-up (plug) on the back side of the bushing. This is typical in these plugs, IME.

View attachment 33740

That's a good looking gun. What's the weight on just the gun?

Back