Casting question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf

Reaction score
I got a new accurate mold the 50 -415i can't get a good pour, 20lbs bottom drop pot tried abunch today.Any ideas what went wrong? Never got a smooth bullet all had wrinkles I guess you could say?

Attachments

• 20231005_175932.jpg
    20231005_175932.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 2
Pot was probably half full so 10 lbs heat was about 7, I know that's probably no help I'll release an try brakes cleaner

You also need to heat your mold up. I heat mine with a Mr. Torch that I purchased from Tractor Supply for a couple of minutes rotating the mold and just cast away. By heating up the mold eliminates wrinkles in the mold etc. I also have my Lee pot set so the temperature is 800 degrees.

I found a video that a former member created on how he casts. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
A high temp thermometer is your friend. Get one. They're cheap. Yiu got good advice above. Clean your mold good and smoke it. Heat your mold up once the lead gets to about 750*. Open the sprue and fill the mold up about 5 times and dump the bullets as soon as the lead solidifies. Not before or you'll have a mess. This should get the mold up to temp. You may get one or 2 fills with wrinkles but after that they should be fine.
Note if you get holes in the bottom of your bullets the lead isn't hot enough.

A high temp thermometer is your friend. Get one. They're cheap. Yiu got good advice above. Clean your mold good and smoke it. Heat your mold up once the lead gets to about 750*. Open the sprue and fill the mold up about 5 times and dump the bullets as soon as the lead solidifies. Not before or you'll have a mess. This should get the mold up to temp. You may get one or 2 fills with wrinkles but after that they should be fine.
Note if you get holes in the bottom of your bullets the lead isn't hot enough.
Only problem I've had is wrinkles, never before had this much trouble think it was around 700, I'll try higher heat, it's first time useing this pot.

Did you every have this problem? I've no every had it on so many.
Only when the mold/lead is not hot enough.Get the lead close to 800 degrees. Ehatcsettydobyou have your lead pot at? I have mine set between 7-8. But like Bronko said get a Lead Thermometer.

800 degrees and a hot mold. [lead thermometer]

Watch the video!!!

I have several Accurate molds but, like bronko pointed out, bigger molds(over 400) need a little more heat. Both the mold and the lead. I have a 535 gr .45 mold that just likes to be really hot. I have the Lee 420 bottom pour set at 6.5 and that gets me to 825* after about 2 hours of heating. So all pots are different. I pre heat the molds with a propane torch then i like to run a dozen fill&dumps before i start looking at bullets.

Pot was probably half full so 10 lbs heat was about 7, I know that's probably no help I'll release an try brakes cleaner
It is a help ,with pure crank it up all the way I also use a hot plate (cheap) and I set it on 5 (the hot plate) along with my ladle as bottom pours on conicals /large 530 gr ellipticals fill out best with compression casting . So while your taking a 5min break flux your lead and all will be well ,unless you decide to skip this advice cause then you'll be back asking why (really) /Ed

I got a new accurate mold the 50 -415i can't get a good pour, 20lbs bottom drop pot tried abunch today.Any ideas what went wrong? Never got a smooth bullet all had wrinkles I guess you could say?
mold and lead too cold what temp you running ?

Just curious as to the diameter of your bullets. I ordered my mold so they measure between 504-504.5. Reason being if a person wanted me to make some say for their 504 White ML, I can just cast and lube them and send them off. For my TC Renegade I purchased a Lee .501 sizing die and they fit perfectly.

Back