Casting question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious as to the diameter of your bullets. I ordered my mold so they measure between 504-504.5. Reason being if a person wanted me to make some say for their 504 White ML, I can just cast and lube them and send them off. For my TC Renegade I purchased a Lee .501 sizing die and they fit perfectly.
I believe mines running about 502, I haven't got to checking real good yet but I will now it's working better

Good I'm hoping they will in mine also, going try in my knight to.

Ok fellows check pot it was at 720 crank it to 900 left mold on top for awhile probably 35mins first couple was wrinkle then cleared up, heat turned up worked, Thanks abunch!
Check your weight and adjust your temp to bring it up or down and keep your lead dead nuts a constant temperature your weight will remain consistent.

Check your weight and adjust your temp to bring it up or down and keep your lead dead nuts a constant temperature your weight will remain consistent.
Thanks I'm going buy a new pot this one kinda sketchy its been around awhile done lot of bullets with it but it's about past its do.

I got a new accurate mold the 50 -415i can't get a good pour, 20lbs bottom drop pot tried abunch today.Any ideas what went wrong? Never got a smooth bullet all had wrinkles I guess you could say?
If you have wrinkles they can be caused by 3 things usually;
The mold must be free of any oil or preservatives ie rust preventative coating. This is usually applied to new molds. If new clean with alcohol and a clean cloth.
Wrinkles can also be a sign of a mold that is too cool. I warm up my mold on my wife’s electric kitchen stove . When she not watching I use her electric hair dryer sometimes.
In 50 years of casting I still get Bullets with wrinkles, the first few. It’s a sign of a temperature variance between the mold and the lead cause by oily mold, low lead temperature or low mold temperatures.

Sometimes you can be casting 20 or so bullets and the all of a sudden they get wrinkled or frosted looking. The latter usually caused by too much heat, the former Not enough heat.
Best of luck

Well I tried hand pour, lmbo that's a bust, guess new bottom pour pot is ordered, I'm about to pull my hair out!!!!

Well I tried hand pour, lmbo that's a bust, guess new bottom pour pot is ordered, I'm about to pull my hair out!!!!
Don't give up I don't hand pour but watched a very accomplished shooter doing it he held his mold at a slight angle and continued pouring lead for a few seconds after full did you try that ?

Don't give up I don't hand pour but watched a very accomplished shooter doing it he held his mold at a slight angle and continued pouring lead for a few seconds after full did you try that ?
I tried everything I could think of, it'll work just can't get bullets to pour right still have wrinkle spots hot, cold, I think the lead to slow to fill mold,got a new bottom pour coming hopefully that'll fix everything

I tried everything I could think of, it'll work just can't get bullets to pour right still have wrinkle spots hot, cold, I think the lead to slow to fill mold,got a new bottom pour coming hopefully that'll fix everything
And you preheated your mold and are running about 820 degrees ?

If the lead is not flowing out, you may need to make the hole in the spout larger. You need to widen/drill from inside the pot.

The benefit of drilling the Spout out to 3/32 is you can Open the Flow to Fill LARGE Cavity Molds QUICKLY, VERY QUICKLY, Which is EXTREMELY important for Optimum Fillout with LARGE Cavity Molds. Without drilling the Spout, you are stuck with the Factory Flow (Safety reasons)

If the lead is not flowing out, you may need to make the hole in the spout larger. You need to widen/drill from inside the pot.

The benefit of drilling the Spout out to 3/32 is you can Open the Flow to Fill LARGE Cavity Molds QUICKLY, VERY QUICKLY, Which is EXTREMELY important for Optimum Fillout with LARGE Cavity Molds. Without drilling the Spout, you are stuck with the Factory Flow (Safety reasons)
I'm trying to remember but I don't think he was pouring out of a hole I seem to remember a v style spout where it just pours out ? He had a special set up with a big recessed table lined with a sheet of metal that he would just pour the lead into the mold and extra would just pile up in the bottom so you didn't have to be real neat about it just good bullets and he can shoot he won Quigley and other lot's of Buffalo gong type of matches so he knows what he's doing !

I've been running lead around 800, I borrowed two production pots not mine so I won't make hole bigger, even tried hand pour, the pot I always used I can't get to anymore with family fight so I wont go there, I ordered new 10lbs bottom pour an yes I'm hoping try 3/32 on it, know to try an reclaim all my lead lol.

You need to get your lead a little hotter. You need to heat your ladle. Put it in the molten lead. Get it HOT! Heat your mould on a hot plate on on the side of your hot pot.

You need to get your lead a little hotter. You need to heat your ladle. Put it in the molten lead. Get it HOT! Heat your mould on a hot plate on on the side of your hot pot.
As guick as lead went liquid I put ladle in it, mold on top of pot, this is only mold l've had a problem with where almost ever bullet come out bad, I'll scrub mold again

Aluminum probably should got steel, I'm going try give it a go with hand casting again after while,

Back