Catfishing 101 And More

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
I know we had some real fine catfishin info on the Old Board with Peteo's Big Ole Cat, tips etc etc and thought it would be nice to continue. :D

Load this thread up with cat pics, tips that help to bring Ole Whiskers to the table or Boat for Catch & Release! :D Even BS accepted & welcomed......including mine. :p

Starting out with baits...I have found for channels that cut shad (or herring if shad not available) is by far my best bait. Fresh is best to hold on hook. Once frozen it gets too soft.

I cut in strips(meat w/skin on) average 4" or longer and normally use a "Fish Finder" style rig or bottom bouncer type if real heavy rock structure. I like large Mustad Beak stye hooks (3/0-4/0) that have baitholder barbs. Our channel cats normally run anywhere from 5-15 lbs. Nice size to eat and a blast to catch.

My best catbait is chicken liver. I've used it for years and caught many a cat during all seasons with it. I use either a 3 way rig or a single line with the hook in the top position and sinker in the bottom position depending on where I am fishing. I also like a kahle hook, usually 2 aught.

I haven't been catfishing in 3 or 4 years though.

I know a guy who uses 1 1/2 - 2 lb largemouth bass for flathead bait on trot lines in the river. Have seen him drag many 30-35 lb fish in.
Myself I can not get that lucky.

Back when the boy was still at home we would jug fish a friends lake at night. Build a campfire, shoot etc. Then go out and check jugs a couple times in the row boat. Man we caught plenty 5-10 lb channels and had a blast.

Hey guys! We had a catfish tourney Sat. night 6 pm to 130 am. Weather was not bad at all little breezy and a cold front moved in. We had been out twice earlier in the week and had a pretty good pattern catching 3# to 9#. We were using a Minkota auto-pilot trolling motor and trolling 17 ft to 19 ft. We were fishing 4 poles off the back of boat. We each had a 4 in bluegill dragging and a fillet of shad side and the gut glob. We caught close to 20 fish this way before tourney. But turn the page and a different day and we wound up weighing our 6 fish limit at 18 + lbs. We didnt even place. Winning weight was 36+ lbs. Big fish was a 20# flathead. It was a blast though. Biggest turnout for our tourney at our Lake so far, 50 boats.
The shad are up in the rocks now getting ready to spawn and you can catch 2# fish till your arm hurts casting a strip of shad and a 3/0 kahle under a bobber with no weight up in the rocks.

:D Glad you fished your way here Peteo from the Old Board!

Sounds like you had some decent action & fun there which is whut its all about.

Suggestions anyone?

I've got a 3/4 acre pond, and stocked it with maybe 500 Bluegills, 50 Channel cats and maybe 20 Largemouths. Last Summer (Summer of 2004) the channels were 18-20" long, the previous year (Summer of 2003) I stocked them @ 6" length. (the pond had a severe winterkill the year before I stocked)

I haven't caught any this year, but I know that there was no winterkill, nor did I see any dead fish this spring. (I now run an aerator all winter long, and it works!)

I've tried chicken liver and catfish PowerBait. If I use a worm, the 'gills will grab it before it sinks a foot. Water temp is 62*, and the 'gills are just starting to fan out nests. Right now, the deepest spot in the pond is about 10'.

What else could I try, and how should I rig it? I don't have access to any shad, herring etc. I'm pretty limited to what I can buy at the store. The gills in the pond are either 6"-8" long or 2" (last years fry).

This year I'm going to put in more 'gills, and as many Bass as I can catch (there is a lake <2 miles away). I'm also going to put in 20# to 25# of Fathead minnows. I'm leery of stocking shiners, I don't think the Bass in there will be big enough to eat an adult shiner next year. I have a fish feeder that throws pelleted floating fish food too.

Blue Dot
Try some hot dogs. I know a guy that has a pond about the same size as you described. It is a bit deeper than yours though. Hot dogs are the only thing that the catfish in his pond will bite on consistantly. Sometimes you will catch them on other baits, but no way near as consistantly as you do on hot dogs.

Blue dot,
Sounds like a pretty nice pond. If I was trying to catch cats out of it I would try some of those two inch Bluegills hooked behind the dorsal fin and set about 4 feet deep under a bobber. My buddy has a pond similar to yours and his kids set out jugs with gills under them.

:D Scott, sounds like a nice pond there.

I would get some fresh clams (chowder size) or fresh shrimp. The blugills and bass likely wont bother them. Try a float to suspend bait within 1-2 foot of bottom if possible. They make a slip type float that works great and you can cast easy.

Keep the clams & shrimp in ice box and if some left then you can eat! A win, win bait! :lol:

Store bot smelt is also an option.

Hey! check this out. I am not really sure how to do links so you might have to copy and paste. This is where I fish on the Miss.
http://www.pjstar.com/stories/052405/JE ... .068.shtml

Insert by Loggy: :D WOW Peteo!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. A great place to fish for sure. Penn Reels & Herring Heads....I Like that. :lol:

Heres the Pic & story from Peteo's link:

20434_180.jpg

Tim Pruitt of Fosterburg hoists a 124-pound blue catfish he caught on the Mississippi River near Alton. The 58-inch fish is expected to be declared a world record and will be displayed live at a Kansas City, Mo., sporting goods store.

By JEFF LAMPE

OF THE JOURNAL STAR

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

When he isn't fishing, Tim Pruitt spends much of his free time lifting weights. Late last Saturday, Pruitt combined both hobbies in record-setting fashion.
Fishing on the Mississippi River near Alton, Pruitt landed a massive 124-pound blue catfish that is expected to be certified a world record by the International Game Fish Association.

After nearly 40 minutes of battling the 58-inch behemoth - which measures 44 inches around - Pruitt said he grabbed its lower jaw and wrestled the catfish into his boat.

"My adrenaline was really pumping, so it wasn't that bad," said Pruitt, who lives in the small southwestern Illinois town of Fosterburg. "Later on, when I was lifting him out of the livewell and into another tank I really felt the weight."

No doubt. At 124 pounds Pruitt's fish surpasses the current 121-pound, 8-ounce world record blue cat caught in 2004 from Lake Texoma on the Texas-Oklahoma border.

"I told my secretary, 'These guys caught a fish bigger than you,' " said biologist Rob Maher, one of several Illinois Department of Natural Resources employees who identified Pruitt's fish. "It's an absolutely unbelievable fish. I've seen a lot of big catfish before and this made all of them seem small."

That includes the former Illinois record blue catfish of 85 pounds. Like that big blue - caught by catfishing diehard Lindsay Sample Jr. in 2000 on the Mississippi River - Pruitt's catch was no accident.

Pruitt, 33, said he has targeted blue cats for the past 14 years. He fishes one or two evenings each week, using 40-pound test line, heavy-duty Penn reels and stout 8-foot rods. He prefers herring heads for bait.

Painful past experiences have taught him the importance of tiring big catfish before bringing them up to the boat.

"I don't know how many 80-pound fish I've lost right beside the boat," Pruitt said. "If you don't quite play them enough or they come in on you too soon, as soon as you put the glove on their lower lip they go crazy. They start doing death rolls and snapping line."

So last Saturday was nothing new for Pruitt, who was accompanied by his wife, Carla, and Tony Phiffer of Godfrey. They anchored near the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers because Pruitt often finds blue catfish there.

Many of those fish are big. Two years ago Pruitt caught a 95-pounder that he released without obtaining a certified weight.

"I didn't keep (the 95-pounder) because I didn't have a boat equipped to keep it alive," Pruitt said. "I got rid of that boat and I've got one with a big (80-gallon) livewell now. So I was able to hold this fish and to transport it safely."

Catch-and-release is that important to Pruitt, who seriously considered letting his world record swim free after weighing the fish on a certified scale. Instead, he agreed to let Cabela's display the fish at a new Kansas City store in a 55,000-gallon tank.

On Monday, Cabela's sent a truck to pick up the fish, which had been at Beasley's Fish market in Grafton.

"My main concern has been getting this fish to a safe spot or to release it back to the river," Pruitt said. "But I agreed to donate the fish to Cabela's because I thought it might be neat to give people a chance to see a fish that massive."

Thanks for the tips guys! Now, what time of day (or night)?

I think the pond is a little bit too small, so I'm going to rent a backhoe and remove about 40 trees & clear some ground. Next year I'll see about hiring a guy to dig it bigger and deeper. The area that I'm clearing is roughly 50 Yds by 25 Yds. I don't have to cut down the trees, a couple of guys from work use wood to heat for the winter. I told them if they wanted the wood, they have to cut down the trees and make brush piles from the tops so all I have to do is dig out the stumps and burn the brushpiles.

Why burn the brush piles, they make great cover, and to catch the cats break out the Savage!

BD, my xperience is cats dont like brite lite especially in a small body of water like that. Cloudy days, early morn, late eve or nite likely the best.

:D Good luck.

Latest posts

Back