Conicals in the Paramount .40 Caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I was just curious as to whether anyone who has purchased a .40 caliber Paramount has bothered to purchase any molds for lead conicals, and shot them out of the 1:20" twist barrel?

When Doc White sold the few .410"/.409" barreled White's back in the day, he was selling three bullet weight conicals for them. 280 grain, 320 grain, and 400 grain. Granted, his barrels were rifled with a 1:16" rate of twist.

I am just wondering how versatile the .40 Paramount will be with a 1:20" twist?

Thoughts?

I was just curious as to whether anyone who has purchased a .40 caliber Paramount has bothered to purchase any molds for lead conicals, and shot them out of the 1:20" twist barrel?

When Doc White sold the few .410"/.409" barreled White's back in the day, he was selling three bullet weight conicals for them. 280 grain, 320 grain, and 400 grain. Granted, his barrels were rifled with a 1:16" rate of twist.

I am just wondering how versatile the .40 Paramount will be with a 1:20" twist?

Thoughts?
Less versatile would be my guess... Bobby Hoyt rifled a .40 cal sidelock for me. When I mentioned my intentions to shoot bullets up to 400 grains he suggested 1:14”. I went with that and so far it’s working well with good accuracy with the three weights I’ve tried. 300, 320, and 400. I have settled on 70 grain weighed charges of 2f Swiss. Recoil from the Renegade stocked rifle is very mild.

That’s not to say they won’t handle the heavy bullets, but they may not stabilize well enough for extreme long ranges. Maybe they weren’t intended for this?

Latest posts

Back