Long 40 cal fury bullet in a harvester light blue sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a McGowan 18 twist .458 on a Savage 111 long action. It shot MOA to 200 yds with a Horn 200gr XTP/ 61.9 gr RL7/Harv blue sabot. 200 is the longest I can shoot around here so I never tried the load at longer range.

Last edited:
Been shooting the 240 Northern Precision all weekend I think I mentioned it here a month ago but this round lead tip 240 is also a great choice I think he's got a 240 Spire Point coming here in the months ahead too I'm getting consistent accuracy out of this bullet just like I do the 240 OT the 250 black tip and the 275 40 cal Fury I'm just all about bullet options, bill ,at Northern Precision can bond this bullet also if any of you try some make sure you ask him for the bonded version, if you're going to hunt with them

Attachments

• 20230710_100923.jpg
    20230710_100923.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sorry I should be more descriptive if it's not obvious that's a 40 cal bullet he knurls up to 402.

Can you post photos of the blue sabots that are overpowered so I can see what not to do. And some that are right at 57 grains. Thanks

These have reached their full potential. 57 grns IMR4198 275 GRN .402 FURY. Groups are outstanding. Very consistent out to 300 yrds.

Attachments

• 20230610_074617.jpg
    20230610_074617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230611_202824.jpg
    20230611_202824.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm shoot in Florida. It's been 98 degrees. If I waited on those Temps I would not shoot very much. I shoot 2 shots and wait for it to cool. I am shooting under a covered bench.

So I’m lookin at Brux’s website on how to order a barrel. Chromoly. 45 cal. What specifically.452? 1.18 twist.

#17 contour? Why not #9 or 19?
Is the Paramount barrel length 26”?
I want to keep the Paramount stock and minimize altering it.

I would not shoot if temps are over 75 degrees unless you have a cooling rod. Do not let your sabots get in the sun n heat up.
I have to keep my sabots in a cooler and swab my barrel with alcohol in the dog dayz of summer or I get 1 foot plus groups at 100 yds

Last edited:
One other aspect of all the shooting in all of the 45 Cal rifles that I shoot 40 cal bullets in and I shoot nothing but the light blue sabot,, the most accurate load with every 40 cal bullet has been right where the light blue Sabot started to either show some type of degradation or stress for instance with IMR 4198 that's almost always for me right at 57 grains when I go slightly above that I start having issues I know other people have shot hotter loads of imr4198 I think they're probably either shooting a wad or a base what I am getting at the is this is constant in every single one of these rifles it's gotten to where I go straight to 57 grains if I'm shooting smokeless I shoot 57 grains from the 180s all the way up to the 275 that load that weight load shoots the best in every single one of these rifles but that weight load is also where my light blue is starting to have issues I am convinced that the light blue is going to always shoot best right at about 90% I guess if it's potential to hold up not sure what you would call that all I know is this is glaringly obvious when you have this many rifles that are showing this,,, I guess maybe I should word it different why is 57 grains the most accurate load across the board in multiple rifles shooting the light blue, you would think it would be 55 or 56 no I did run into problems with the Krieger 18 twist shooting 57 grains it's a little too much I'm going to back down to 56, 56 shot a half inch three shot group a few weeks ago still if I look at that particular rifle 56 is right where the light blue is starting to struggle in that particular Barrel and again that is where the accuracy is at my point is I guess we don't consider sometimes it's tuning that plastic to where it needs to be as much as it is the bullet I'm amazed at the constant in these particular guns in these barrels it's always 57 grains.
I know it’s not smokeless but I do intend to shoot them in my Omega 40
However this is more to agree with the harder push of this bullet. The Harvester blues are slightly distorted with excessive base flare when I’m getting my best groups with my 1-20 Knight & 91gr weighed BH209.
I should note that this is not a recommended or approved load by Knight or Blackhorn

Greg

Thank you that rifles heavy it's easy to shoot often times when I'm just trying something to see if it will work or not I don't Focus so much on my shooting mechanics as I should I just sit down and go bang,, I'm always looking for that load combination that is as forgiving as possible I love it when I feel like a jerk and pull the bullet and look down after the shot and it's still in the group it's taking a while to get that Matrix bullet bending technique down,, smokeless accuracy continues to amaze me whether you're shooting bullet to bore or with plastic

Back