Long 40 cal fury bullet in a harvester light blue sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
In my ongoing experiments with the 18 twist barrels I decided to shoot the heavy 40 cal 275 OT and 275 blacktip,in a Krieger,,this is four shots one out of the group was foul shot for barrel,, group of three then , 56 grains of IMR 4198,, the sabot might take 57 but looked stressed,,, I'm convinced the light blue working up a load is always going to shine about 5% below failure at least in all of my shooting one thing for you guys that are getting the 18 twists barrels on some of the omegas from Mark Woodman you got a lot of bullet selection and I'm convinced a lot of bullet selection that a 20 or 22 twist is not going to have, don't mean to pick on the twenties and 22s but the 18 ,is the absolute best and most versatile no one will ever talk me out of that or shoot me out of that,, shooting has brought me to that place ,,lots of bullets.. I can shoot anything from a 180 to a 275 40 cal accurately and I can shoot anything from a 250 to a 400 grain jacketed bullet riding a bore accurately and I mean very accurately there is only the 18 my 20 twist barrels are chasing it

Both the 275 OT in the 275 black tip 40 cal look monstrous in that light blue, I need to check the velocity in that load I would think it's probably around 2350 maybe 23 even still having the extra BC even though you're not engaging it and sectional density, the bullet I think it would hunt well.

Not in one hole like a bore rider but a lot of potential.

Both the 275 OT in the 275 black tip 40 cal look monstrous in that light blue, I need to check the velocity in that load I would think it's probably around 2350 maybe 23 even still having the extra BC even though you're not engaging it and sectional density, the bullet I think it would hunt well.

If I was gonna shoot/hunt with a 275gr bullet, it would be a 40cal 275gr. Like you said, better BC and sectional density. I think you're wrong. It would hunt awesome!!!! It would knock'em in the dirt!!!!

I hope those looking at this thread notice Captain Todd's group he shot in his new Paramount from Woodman with the same bullet I forget what thread it's on

MntMonkey: So I'm lookin at puttin a Brux barrel on my Paramount. I've read all you've posted regarding the versatility of the 45 cal with a 1:18 twist. I understand all that. Your testin/experience shows versatility with bullets from 250 grains and heavier. I think I don't want to shoot heavier; I think I want to shoot lighter, like 200 or 225gr Fury Black tip., to keep recoil lighter. I do not want a muzzle brake. I don't think I need the amount of versatility you describe as my rifle is for deer hunting from an elevated stand on my property at distances not beyond 400 yds. I also want one hole to 1/4" groups. I don't think the lighter Fury bullets have the BC that the heavier bullets have. What would you recommend to achieve my goal of staying lighter and still having superb accuracy? Or can't it be done because the BC is lower?
I already know I can handle the 250 gr., .402 cal Fury black tip in the Harvester crush blue sabot, and it groups into one hole, so If lighter doesn't work, this might be my preferred load. I did this in Ninerings 45 cal Paramount with the brake off. In a Brux, I'd be shooting VVN120. I have 8 lbs of it compliments of Grafs no hazmat or shipping fee.

I still recommend the 18, just to have the versatility as a backup, and actually what you're describing with the lighter bullets is all that's needed for killing Whitetail and hunting hogs Etc and most of America, this is what it's been amazing to me,,, the 18 twist have shot the lighter bullets better and more consistent than the 20s the 22s and the 24s. And if I have that extra rotation extra spin and my bullets heading out there towards my target with that extra spin,where is it going to unload that extra Spin and energy? on target I would think ,having that extra revolution in my bullet it's certainly not a hindrance and if I ever decide to shoot out at the furthest distance my load will carry me don't you think that extra spin is just going to make your load more dynamic,,, the 18 across the bullet weight board will do more than the other twist if you only want to shoot light bullets it's nice to have bullet choices in the bank to me.

And I think the 225 Fury black tip and the 240 and 250 would do everything you need sorry I left that out you just need to get your gun together and get behind it you'll be able to put bullets on your palm all day long out to 400 yards

I am currently shooting 3 brux 18s,1 McGowan, 1 krieger,, the other eight smokeless rifles that I have currently are 20s I stepped away from the 22s and 24s three or four years back I'll never go back to those. I have kept this many rifles in my closet shooting week end and week out sometimes 3 or 4 days a week for a long time now I have been so blessed to be in places that I've lived that allowed me to do that.I I'm pretty stubborn I haven't got all excited because I had one rifle that showed me what I'm crowing about oh and by the way there's been three other 18 twist barrels that I've gotten rid of every single one of those and the ones I currently am shooting all performed the same, and by the same I mean the variety of bullets accurately category,, every rifle barrel is a little different of course in it's favorite load.

You're very welcome, I've come so close so many times to building a 40 or buying a 40 I've always talked myself out of it I do so much with 40 cal bullets in the light blue sabot,, I really like that about the 45 Cal rifles,, and again the 18 gives me just a little bit more 40 cal potential in the light blue,, my thought process with trying to match that sectional density and high BC that the 40s have has been just to go up heavy with the 45s that's why I've been shooting the 400 grain bullet and have something heavier coming in the future between 450 and 475 grains that's in a jacket and sizable.

That 300 grain Arrow Max has shot more five shot one whole groups for me than any other bullet I shoot Furies in Northern precisions day in and day out when I feel real snazzy I pull out some of the 300 aeromax's all of Pitman bullets shoot very well for me having retired now I just can't afford to shoot bullets that expensive anymore even the fury bullets are killing me I've got to stop shooting the way I've been it's just hard but I'm working on some more economic ideas anyway conceptually

One other aspect of all the shooting in all of the 45 Cal rifles that I shoot 40 cal bullets in and I shoot nothing but the light blue sabot,, the most accurate load with every 40 cal bullet has been right where the light blue Sabot started to either show some type of degradation or stress for instance with IMR 4198 that's almost always for me right at 57 grains when I go slightly above that I start having issues I know other people have shot hotter loads of imr4198 I think they're probably either shooting a wad or a base what I am getting at the is this is constant in every single one of these rifles it's gotten to where I go straight to 57 grains if I'm shooting smokeless I shoot 57 grains from the 180s all the way up to the 275 that load that weight load shoots the best in every single one of these rifles but that weight load is also where my light blue is starting to have issues I am convinced that the light blue is going to always shoot best right at about 90% I guess if it's potential to hold up not sure what you would call that all I know is this is glaringly obvious when you have this many rifles that are showing this,,, I guess maybe I should word it different why is 57 grains the most accurate load across the board in multiple rifles shooting the light blue, you would think it would be 55 or 56 no I did run into problems with the Krieger 18 twist shooting 57 grains it's a little too much I'm going to back down to 56, 56 shot a half inch three shot group a few weeks ago still if I look at that particular rifle 56 is right where the light blue is starting to struggle in that particular Barrel and again that is where the accuracy is at my point is I guess we don't consider sometimes it's tuning that plastic to where it needs to be as much as it is the bullet I'm amazed at the constant in these particular guns in these barrels it's always 57 grains.

Latest posts

Back