Convert a CVA Scout to smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that too but went with the modules. If you reload its not that big a deal. Even if you don't reload you can get a hand primer. I lnow large rifle prare hard to come by but you can get large pistol primers which will work. Depriming the modules is no big deal. A 1/16" punch knocks them right out.
I have large rifle and large rifle magnum primers, and a full reloading room. I've been a reloader for a decade or so. Was just thinking it would be less hassle to use 209's.
I could be wrong

I would not use a savage breech plug. My first SML had one and I hated it, gas cutting on the nose and it would loosen up on its own.

Get a rear sealing plug and if you go 209, get the Woodman‘s adjustable plug as mentioned earlier.

I would recommend getting a LRMP breech plug. 209 systems do work, I have 3 of them, but I like my LRMP systems better and they seal great.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, such a conversion is pretty easy.. Ream out the chamber with a 9/16 reamer, thread the chamber for a 5/8-18 bolt ( I bought mine from Home Depot, but I do not know if they are still available there ). CVA, Knight, other breech plugs are all 5/8-18 threads. I've made breech plugs out of 5/8-18 bolts all the way from 209 primers to .45 ACP. Mostly I use .357 or .41 Remington Magnum, because they can hold a lot of pressure.

I thought that too but went with the modules. If you reload its not that big a deal. Even if you don't reload you can get a hand primer. I lnow large rifle primers are hard to come by but you can get large pistol primers which will work. Depriming the modules is no big deal. A 1/16" punch knocks them right out.
There is a possibility that Jeff will be making some modules with a small primer pocket. Small rifle and pistol primers are easier to get.
Are you using the load he suggests?

Are you having to size your bullets?

After I dropped a few modules to never be found out a tree stands I liked the 209 a little better - aleast i didn't feel as bad when they fly off into outer space. I have a 308 size module now that i think will be even easier for me to scatter like chicken feed lol. I also believe Mark Woodsman makes a 209 shell you can use large rifle primers in - I may try some of these as well

Sometimes when shooting smokeless the weak link is the primer. The more pressure from a smokeless load the more the 209 primer leaks around the primer cup. To avoid this they make a large rifle/pistol primer module. They do not leak around cup as a 209 primer will. They are an extra step and to me is not worth it. The little bit of leakage does not affect my groups that much. What i will say is i keep my breech plug cleaned every 15 shots. Its really easy to do and this alone keeps my groups tight. I also use a set of micrometers to set my adjustable plug to length for a given brand of primer.

Sometimes when shooting smokeless the weak link is the primer. The more pressure from a smokeless load the more the 209 primer leaks around the primer cup. To avoid this they make a large rifle/pistol primer module. They do not leak around cup as a 209 primer will. They are an extra step and to me is not worth it. The little bit of leakage does not affect my groups that much. What i will say is i keep my breech plug cleaned every 15 shots. Its really easy to do and this alone keeps my groups tight. I also use a set of micrometers to set my adjustable plug to length for a given brand of primer.
All I do is a few twists in the primer pockets of my DI modules/bolts with primer pocket cleaner tool and reprime. I think I've cleaned my plug a couple of times with a wire brush. So far it still goes boom when I pull the trigger and my accuracy hasn't changed.

What gun are you shooting? I’m fairly green, so I’m trying to learn. I’m also considering a custom gun.

Hello Windfall. I feel like the easiest option for a muzzleloader is a stock Patriot, 45 cal., 209 ignition……i have built 2 and bought the gun I mentioned above. You will accrue more money and time with a build. They will be heavier and more bulky, ask me how i know. I cannot build anything finer than Mark Woodman already has. I do not make a dime endorsing his products. He has done this for years and has a gun that gets 300 yards and under, thats very light, handles and carries like a dream. The man has done an excellent job. Buy once/ cry once and do not build an armory of unneeded muzzleloaders..

Thanks for the reply. Yeh I’ve been hearing his name come up alot. I mostly deer hunt on the east coast where most shots are under 200yards, but do occasionally (when I get a tag) hunt in Kansas where a gun that can reach a bit further is handi. I want a gun that if I miss I know it’s my fault, not the gun. I also don’t want to buy a bunch of different guns to find the one that I want.

Latest posts

Back