Copper Gas Checks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this. What if you could use a .451 or .452 copper gas check as a "wad" under a sabotless bullet in a 45cal. Put the cupped side towards the powder. It should act sort of like the base of a Thor bullet? It should flair out when the powder ignites. It will also scrape down the lands each time you load one on top of the powder.

Anyone have some .451 copper gas checks and a 45cal ML? Probably need to run them thru a .451 or .452 Lee sizing die first.
img-gaschecks.jpg

250 cost $10.50 plus shipping if anyone wants to give it a try.
https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/45-454-caliber-gator-gas-checks/

Last edited:
Sage sells aluminum gas checks for 450BM that are cheaper and a little taller but they are out of stock atm.
These are crimp on aluminum .45 caliber Extra Tall gas checks, they are about .125 in overall height.

The coppers are .464 OD so a sizer will be needed but even sized a bit large (.452+)they should go it. Just need a good pop from a short starter.

Maybe a veggie or poly wad then gas check,,,,hmmm
My thoughts are......The thin copper with let the ignition smack the bullet without any cushioning. Possibly speed up bullet obturation. Only use another wad on top for stuff like soft lead conicals.

My thoughts are......The thin copper with let the ignition smack the bullet without any cushioning. Possibly speed up bullet obturation. Only use another wad on top for stuff like soft lead conicals.

I like your thoughts on this but I am using a simple MMP - sub base for the same purpose.

50x350-Setup.jpg

This seems to be working really well for me.

Yes, plus a poly wad.

Attachments

• 19C75C49-CBBE-4839-9CE0-D2AE3634D01D.jpeg
    19C75C49-CBBE-4839-9CE0-D2AE3634D01D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I like your thoughts on this but I am using a simple MMP - sub base for the same purpose.
They do offer a 50cal gas check too. The cost difference though is rather large. 250 45cal gas checks for about $15 delivered. Plus the gas check will scrape the lands each time one is seated on the powder. Even poly wads are a fraction the price of a sub base at $20/1000. They fit very very tight also.

About $23/250 to my door
https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/50-lr-caliber-gator-gas-checks/

If…….they would make those sub-bases in 45 caliber ?? Which they don’t.

Last night in the middle of the night! I went "WAIT' - GM was talking about a 45 cal. base! So my post was off base in this thread.

I asked Del and MMP several times about the possibility of 45 cal. sub-base but it never got off the ground!

GM quote:
“Plus the gas check will scrape the lands each time one is seated on the powder
.”
Which is exactly what I was thinking . If one doesn’t know about a Williams Cleaner bullet from the civil war here ya go.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_cleaner_bullet
Side bar. ( don’t mean to hi-jack the thread)
Growing up in the Shenandoah Valley of Va rich in Civil War history I use to metal detect for CW relics. 60,70 &80’s. The area was prolific with them.
Thus my knowledge of the Williams cleaner.

Regardless of "up" or "down" gas checks are good for removing ackumpucky from soft lead projectiles. Have a small box sold by Henry Pope for .22 hornets I enjoy using. Even 75 + years ago, their benefit was well-known. Whether or not they will expand sufficiently to fill grooves is interesting to me.

I like your idea!

If you glued the gas check to the bottom of the bullet with a tiny daub of hot glue, would that help keep everything together until the powder goes off?

Attaching it to the bullet could be problematic unless there was a way to make it release fast. Just loading them together would likely break any bond. You would need a light bond after the gas check is seated. Piece of 2 sided tape on the bottom of the bullet??????

I just ordered a pack of the 458 gas checks mainly because they sold out of the .454s. I have a .454 and a .451 sizer so i can resize in 2 steps and i know a .451 fits my Mountaineer fine and the Super DISC has tighter bore. It was worth the $16 to test this.

Im also curious if they will fit in the powder side of a sabot.

Attaching it to the bullet could be problematic unless there was a way to make it release fast. Just loading them together would likely break any bond. You would need a light bond after the gas check is seated. Piece of 2 sided tape on the bottom of the bullet??????

Do you think the gas check might get hot enough to melt the hot glue as it was traveling down the barrel?

Latest posts

Back