Copper Gas Checks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are?....I have never noticed even shooting sabots over 2700fps in my Pacnor 45 smokeless. You must be doing something wrong??
I don't have smokeless, but I have been inquiring about upgrading my barrel to go down that road.

Edited: I should point out my only experience with plastic in rifled barrels is with the Powerbelt ELR. I have not given plastic sabots any thought because the skirt on the ELR, is nearly impossible to clean throughoughly at the range. The thought of pitting more plastic just sounds bad.

91 grains by weight of BH209, 325 grain Powerbelt ELR.

Last edited:
Today's sabot plastic will not be an issue. As you describe things its more likely only the ELR bullet's skirt plastic that is in question. Call CVA's customer assistance and ask them about it.

Honestly, this is another one of the issues we've seen with CVA and their dedicated bullets. If sabots were an issue, which they are not, people here would be screaming bloody murder.

I have not given plastic sabots any thought because the skirt on the ELR, is nearly impossible to clean throughoughly at the range
You are using BH209 so im not sure why you even need to clean at the range? In another thread you said you were using Dawn followed up by other solvents. I would suggest not using water based solutions for swabbing. Hoppes and ISO HEET mixed 50/50 or even less of the Hoppes. ISO HEET is just 99% isopropyl alcohol and easier to find at stores than 91% or more.

You are the first ive heard of the PB skirts leaving any amount of plastic that is hard to clean. Something else must be going on. Rough bore, poor fitting ect but the first thing i would change is your cleaning routine. Also make 100% certain the bore is oil free on the first shot.

I have both a Pacnor 45 and a Douglas 50cal shooting sabots from 2200-2400fps+. I just clean with a milspec CLP without any Teflon in it. Give all my barrels a good scrubbing a couple times a year with Montana Xtreme Copper Cream or a similar products like JBs.
https://montanaxtreme.com/products/copper-cream/
I would also suggest you look at Fury bullets. He sells a couple full bore sabotless options for 50cal and poly wads.
https://www.furycustombullets.com/product-category/black-powder-muzzle-loader-bullets/
https://www.furycustombullets.com/shop-2/sabots-wads-and-accessories/50-cal-poly-wads/

At the range, I did try some windshield washer fluid once.

Also you are unfortunately correct the bore, it is fuckered. I just removed the action and can now see pitting near the breech plug.

I think initially I had just polished past it and was satisfied with a seemingly clean patch. I broke it loose with a wire bore brush, just now and the slight imperfection now looks like it is pitted.

Sorry to have Hijacked the thread, I am still interested. Thanks for the advice on Fury.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221014_121830.jpg
    Screenshot_20221014_121830.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back