Crossbow Bought

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I should have known when my back started to heal i'd want to go hunting again. I know a muzzleloader wouldn't work but a short light xbow would. I can use one in archery season here due to a disability.

So, I just bought one. I'll use a crank cocker to save my back. I bought an Excaliber. With scope, quiver, and arrows it only weighs 6.5lbs. That will work. I can't hunt this year but I have 2 deer points, so I can get the tag for sure next year.

The good part is the season is 30 days long compared to muzzy season only being 9 days. Plus, it's either sex too. Should be fun.

Excalibur are good. I’ve had a Ten Point for years, here anyone can use a Crossbow for four months and really kill as many Deer as they want.

I’m out this year on all hunting because of my arm but good luck on the Crossbow.

oneshot

I have several Excalibur crossbows. My son is a youth brand ambassador for them. They have worked flawlessly over thousands of bolts fired. Between the 3 bows there have been probably 100 animals harvested with them. Hit the right spot and its over. Good choice, Sir. I wish you lots of luck with it.

I had a couple of compound xbows in the past and never liked them. They were heavy and unreliable. I needed a shop to change the string/cables.

The Excalibur is really light and changing the string myself takes 1 minute. Which is important to adjust the brace height and if I bust one on a hunt. I'll have a spare string in my backpack that broke in. Put it on and i'm back hunting. I really like that.

It's not the fastest bow but it will kill anything in Colorado and that's all that matters.

Thanks for your posts guys.

Excalibur’s are good. I use Gold Tip Arrows with Spitfire Heads and have killed 4 Deer with one Arrow. Last one I left it a couple days the Mice ate the Fletching.

oneshot

No, I bought a slower one called the GRZ2. I thought about getting the AXE but I shouldn't need any more speed than what I bought.

Speed = $$ with xbows.

Pete congratulations on the Excalibur purchase. I've owned three. Current now is matrix 405. I've bought all of them used.
Exocet 280 fps
Equinox 350 fps
Matrix 405 fps
Great bows and great service although I hear they are getting more picky on warranty work.

Good luck this year!

I don’t have any experience with crossbows. A buddy of mine bought one, I don’t know the brand, but he loves it. It’s amazingly accurate. He has a low power scope on it. The guy at the shop he bought it from told him not to shoot at the same bullseye when sighting in (trying to get a group). He didn’t listen. First shot dead center, second shot at the same spot....Robin Hood...second arrow blew up the first one....accurate.

My son has a Ten Point cross bow. That thing is dialed in at 70+ yards and deadly accurate. I love shooting that bow.
No recoil whatsoever :thumbs up:. BTW: exactly true....aim at different POI...destroyed a couple of arrows.

Pete congrats!I have the matrix 310. Very easy to tune. Pure joy to shoot. Enjoy!
Jimyjac, what do you mean by tune? Mine doesn't require any tuning. Just install string and sight it in. I've never heard of the matrix 310, is that a newer model? I've been looking at those micro suppressors, now those look great. Too expensive for my blood but maybe a used one eventually.

It`s a matrix NY legal model which they do not make anymore. The Grizz is the replacement. What I mean by tuned is I made sure my string was in spec and I tried different broadheads and I am sighted in. I use the 100 gr swacker or 100gr 3 blade muzzy. Both fly well.

It`s a matrix NY legal model which they do not make anymore. The Grizz is the replacement. What I mean by tuned is I made sure my string was in spec and I tried different broadheads and I am sighted in. I use the 100 gr swacker or 100gr 3 blade muzzy. Both fly well.
Funny, I'm using 100 grain shwacker as well!!

Latest posts

Back