Current FN Model 70 production...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
My opinion is that those recievers were being made in the FN plant is South Carolina instead of New Haven. I have no way of knowing for sure unless someone here has the definative answer to this question.

Choc,

Here is some info as to what was officially being produced at the FN plant, and what current still is...

The Winchester Model 70 series rifles are marketed as sniper rifles for military forces and law enforcement agencies under the Fabrique Nationale banner as the Special Police Rifle (SPR) and the Patrol Bolt Rifle (PBR).

The FN Special Police Rifle has the standard Winchester Model 70 rifle action, receiver and magazine system but the rifle is fitted with a heavier barrel and with the McMillan series tactical rifle stocks.

The FN Patrol Bolt Rifle has the standard features of the original Winchester Model 70 rifle but the rifle is designed for use by police officers in patrol cars with the rifle having a short and compact barrel so it would allow the rifle to be stored in a police car. The FN Patrol Bolt Rifle is also marketed with a compensator on the muzzle of the rifle's barrel.

.......In regards to the FN Special Police Rifle and the Patrol Bolt Rifle, it appears that production on these two firearms is still continuing at Fabrique Nationale's US factories despite the closure of the Winchester factory in New Haven and production on the Winchester Model 70 ceasing.

as i understand it (or at least have read on the internets :D ), winchester is going to start production of the model 70 sporters in the south carolina plant. i'm very interested to see the finished product that results .....

n8dawg6 said:
as i understand it (or at least have read on the internets :D ), winchester is going to start production of the model 70 sporters in the south carolina plant. i'm very interested to see the finished product that results .....

Funny thing is...it seems that even the "FN" model 70's were originally "Winchester" 70's.....that would suggests that the FN's are likely made using Winchesters equipement...

Note..the following material is several years old...

Several years ago the FNH USA, the US-based subsidiary to famous Belgian arms maker FN Herstal, decided to develop the new sniper rifle for Law Enforcement use. Designated as a Special Police Rifle (SPR), new bolt action rifle was based on the Winchester model 70 Classic (also known as pre-64) action with Mauser-style bolt and extractor with controlled feed. The heavy barrels were made from M240/FN MAG machine gun barrel blanks, with chrome plated bores. Barreled actions were mounted into H-S Precision polymer rifle stocks. Soon after introduction the production had been stopped, as some defects were found in the design. Most notably, some rifles shot not as well as they were supposed to. FN designers analyzed the faults, and re-started the SPR design in the much improved and better form. At the present time these FN SPR rifles are manufactured at the US Repeating Arms Co (USRAC), the subsidiary of the FN Herstal and the manufacturer of the famous Winchester brand rifles.

At the present time, US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officially adopted the FN SPR rifle for its sniper teams.

JC...beautifil rifle

JC,

Your Super short stainless model 70 in the select grade wood stock you have is a beautiful rifle. If winchester had made any short action or super short action in "left hand" I would give up my Encores/Prohunters to have one. I can't believe I said that.

I wanted a winchester M-70 in 25 WSSM in left hand, of course that was not going to happen.

The sad part of all of this is to lose a 150 year old company whose name
alone represents a part of "America". What we are today as a nation is a direct result of "John Brownings" genius and "Winchesters production".

I wanted a winchester M-70 in 25 WSSM

So did I...that is why I grabbed that one picture once I heard the news that they were ceasing production. Fortunately, the folks I bought it from charged me fair value despite the announcement...

JC[/quote]

Latest posts

Back