CVA Deluxe Soft Bag Range Cleaning Kit ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
i've got a 2003 CVA optima that i haven't shot yet and i don't have any cleaning accessories for it . i need a longer ram rod for it and like the one in this kit . should this kit be all i need for cleaning it ?

thanks , jeff

cool beans !

i'm planning on also getting a new breech plug with the wrench and two .50 nylon barrel brushes . i was told the gun hadn't been shot in 10 years or maybe more . i was told i can use brake cleaner spray to flush out the trigger area . trigger feels fine and nothing looks corroded .... just want to give it a long over due cleaning and have what i need to keep it that way . the bag will be nice to keep it all together and i can just put it in my back pack when i head out to hunt this fall .

thanks ;)

Last edited:
BTW ..... should i lube the trigger area after cleaning it ? if so will wd40 be ok ?

BTW ..... should i lube the trigger area after cleaning it ? if so will wd40 be ok ?
I guess WD40 wouldn't hurt anything. I would just use a couple drops of synthetic oil in the trigger area on contact points. WD40 would work if your gun got wet rain/snow for water issues, not sure if it gums up when cold or not, that's why the synthetic oil. I use an like Lucas Red synthetic oil, not a problem with it!
https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10...&qid=1651102538&sprefix=lucas,aps,405&sr=8-13

i have a 2003 model and i think i'd have to take 3 pins out of the receiver to access them :( i lack the confidence to try that .
if there's a easier way please tell me .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313804645296?hash=item491036e3b0:g:6ekAAOSwwH9hV12TDoes your old optima look like this one, with wolf style lever to release the barrel? Looking closer at the face of the firing pin there is a slot for a screwdriver to insert, back out the housing counter clockwise and cleanup the firing pin/spring (soak in citrus cleaner or bore blaster) add a drop of oil and reinstall.

Last edited:
yes , it looks like that with the lever behind the trigger .
it does not have the button in front of the trigger like the wolf .

the trigger feels decent but must be solidly pulled back to engage . no catches or noise besides the click

Last edited:
I would NEVER use WD40 on the trigger internals. Over time it gets gummy and in cold weather you'll have issues. I use lighter fluid to flush the trigger and when it dries leaves a film that does a good job lubing the internals. A trick from my bolt centerline experience.

i had no idea ...... sounds like when the lighter fluid dries it leaves something that works similar to graphite powder .
thanks Chundo .

yep , i saw the slot like the newer CVA's have for cleaning the firing pin . but the instructions for it on ebay show that i'll have to modify the catch under the barrel ..... and that's beyond my comfort zone .

1651165374241.png

i'll just live with it as is and if it becomes a problem that'll be my excuse to get the accura LRX i was eyeballing for later in the summer .

I get the impression I'll have to file that surface on my barrel to fit that new receiver. Maybe I'm wrong ......

I gotcha, you might. But that bit of filing doesn't affect the simple process of cleaning and oiling the firing pin, bushing and spring.
You might get lucky and the barrel will just drop in without fiddling with it.

Jeff, isn't your barrel already installed in the rifle? I think your making this more difficult than it is...
Remove the barrel from the frame. Should be just one screw/bolt holding the forearm on the barrel, remove the forearm and the barrel will separate from the frame by using the lever to open the gun.
Use a flat head screw driver to remove the firing pin housing, clean the firing pin/spring (don't loose the spring it will have some tension) add a drop of oil, reinstall like it came out and your good till next time its needed.
I only clean the firing pin area after a range session or at the end of hunting season, depending on how many times the gun was shot.

Back