cva hunterbolt loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampdonkey

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a load that will shoot well past 50 yards with mine. I have tried several different bullets w/ loads from 100grs thru 150grs and so far the best group I have gotten was about 4".
I've tried not cleaning the barrell for three shots. I've tried a spit patch for 20 strokes followed by a dry patch after each shot. I have even done a thorough cleaning after each shot, which by the way makes for a long day. I'm syarting to think the only thing this rifle is good for is a lawn ornament.
Is this the norm for these rifles or did I get a lemon?

Like Semisane said, try dropping the powder charge down to 80 grains. I have an old Staghorn which is a great shooter but it likes 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. If I want the best accuracy, that is what I shoot.

If you have not tried some powerbelts, then give them a try. I would look at the 245 & 348 grain ones. Some of the BPI rifles are real fussy about what they shoot. My Staghorn also shoots 300 grain XTP's real good. Again though, wiht 90 grains of powder. It might be a Staghorn Magnum, but there are no magnum loads for that rifle.

Also with the barrel in the stock, check for the fit. Perhaps a bedding job might be needed. Are you resting the barrel on the front of the bench rest? If you are, don't. Rest the rifle on only the stock. You are just going to have to try different things until something works.

Swab the barrel between shots for the best accuracy.

If all else fails, call BPI and tell them you have a hunterbolt that just will not shoot. See what they say, or how they offer to fix it.

HUNTERBOLT LOAD

I SHOOT SW SUPER GLIDE 250GR AND 11O GR LOOSE 3/7 POWDER. LOADS AND SHOOTS GREAT IN MINE

For a .45 Cal Hunterbolt Magnum, CVA Recommends 100 Grains of powder behind a 295 Grain Powerbelt. Maybe this will get you in the ballpark.

Back