CVA OPTIMA PISTOL RANGE TRIP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to take my new .50 cal pistol to the outdoor range.
I could only shoot in a pistol bay to 45 yards due to a State Trap Shoot setting up for a big match and using the bays for vendors and camping.
Everything went great. I used for the first time the Shooters World Multi Purpose Black Powder and I set it off with Federal Muzzleloader primers and Winchester SE7VEN designed for 777 and Pyrodex Pellets. Everything fired every time.

I used the TC Cheap Shots to get it on paper and then switched to the Barnes with the green crush rib sabots.
Both were very accurate.
I probably could have tightened the groups with a scope but I had the Red Dot in my safe so I went with it. From a makeshift rest I could put all my shots in 2.5". The dot was almost as big as my zero spot so it was hard to be super accurate but well within minute of deer or hog.
I sighted it about 1 1/2" high and I doubt I can shoot it much over 60 yards in the woods. I will shoot it farther at my hunting land before the season just to be safe.
Gun shot good, big boom, big smoke, recoil not bad at all.

Attachments

• CVA Optima Pistol Range Day!.jpg
    CVA Optima Pistol Range Day!.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Thank you Jitterbug. That is the type i was looking for but wasn't sure it would work. For 20 bucks, it's well worth the try.

Edit 5/1/23: ordered the sling from Stratton Custom today.

Last edited:
My sling was just an ALLEN Padded sling I had from some other project. The Stratton one looks like a good one.
Clean up was pretty easy just like my sidelocks with real black powder like Goex but probably easier.
I sprayed it down with Ballistol after taking it apart. I scrubbed with a soft brush and swabbed the bore. I put everything in a bucket with some dish soap and scrubbed the bore and everything.
Using a thick rubber glove, I rinsed everything off with hot water and then used my air compressor to blow everything dry and followed up with some protective clp type oil.
Pretty much how I have always cleaned muzzleloaders .

Latest posts

Back