Vortex Strikerfire problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfJ

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a new Traditions Vortex Strikerfire. It shoots pretty well, but I find that after about half a dozen shots it stops locking closed. I have to disassemble the barrel lock and clean all the mating faces between the breech block and the lock face, and generally all the locking components, before it will lock again. Using a brass bush on the lock faces without disassembling the gun gives me a couple more shots, but that's all. This is really slowing down my shooting. I'm using Pyrodex. Any suggestions? Don't have this problem with my CVA Wolf.

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Folks,

I have a new Traditions Vortex Strikerfire. It shoots pretty well, but I find that after about half a dozen shots it stops locking closed. I have to disassemble the barrel lock and clean all the mating faces between the breech block and the lock face, and generally all the locking components, before it will lock again. Using a brass bush on the lock faces without disassembling the gun gives me a couple more shots, but that's all. This is really slowing down my shooting. I'm using Pyrodex. Any suggestions? Don't have this problem with my CVA Wolf.

Cheers,
Jon
It might be helpful to post some pictures.

Have you tried different primers? Or maybe use an o-ring in the breechplug in front of your primer to help seal it and keep blowback from foulin
It might be helpful to post some pictures.
Good idea, pics attached here. I'm using Winchester 777 primers. This was after about six shots.

Attachments

• IMG_5705.jpg
    IMG_5705.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5700.jpg
    IMG_5700.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 0
By God man, get yourself some McMaster Carr o-rings. That's one helluva blowback issue you got there.
The breech plug has an o-ring on the outside, above the threads - are you referring to a different o-ring? Should I be trying to seal the primer?

Ok, this sounds good. Is there likely a thread on this that I can search? Or can someone explain in a couple sentences where the o-ring should sit? I'm a technical guy so won't be troubled finding the right o-ring, if I know where it's supposed to go. I'm guessing at this stage that it's slightly oversize for the primer pocket diameter, to keep it in place, and goes in front of the primer in the pocket?

Did some searching - I should use these guys (attached)? Stick them in the pocket in front of the primer?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-27 215527.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-27 215527.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 0
Yep - those are the ones many of us use. They go in the primer pocket of the plug.

I’m sure someone would be willing to mail you a few to try. They aren’t all that cheap with shipping.

F58B1B39-27BC-4BB8-B604-4B23090F5E2A.jpeg

Curious as to which primers you are using? Cheddites have been good in my Vortex but I do use the o ring set up. Glad you were able to find the thread(s) on them. I get terrible blowback on the Vortex using Winchester 209 primers and the 777 primers.

You can also find the o rings on amazon.

Curious as to which primers you are using? Cheddites have been good in my Vortex but I do use the o ring set up. Glad you were able to find the thread(s) on them. I get terrible blowback on the Vortex using Winchester 209 primers and the 777 primers.

You can also find the o rings on amazon.
These are Winchester 777 primers, so maybe that contributes to the problem. I'll get some Cheddites.

Latest posts

Back