Deer Draggin ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
How do you all get your deer out of the woods....drag, deer cart, 4 wheeler, son or wife drag it etc? :D

I have a deer cart but for the last couple years i've been huntin an area where I can drive my 4X4 ole Suburban down an untravelled ruff loggin road and can get within roughly 300 yds of my treestand! I'm back to the good ole drag strap. :D I did get one of those Hitch Haulers last year that goes into my 2" Hitch Receiver. That really makes it easy vs tryin to hoist one up on truck bed, pecially when by yourself.

I see there are all type of deer carts, etc out there today. My deer cart was mfg back in the mid 80's by an outfit which I no longer have their name...they were in Western part of US. My Dad bot it and I remember it was expensive as compared to whut they go for today. Its aircraft Alum framed and collapses and has HD mountain bike tires. It will carry 2 deer with no problem. I keep it up at my Huntin Camp & next time up will take a pic and post. Its a piece of equipment for sure. :D

If possible, I use this...

If not.. piece of rope around the neck after field dressing and a dragging we go. :(

DSC00468.jpg

Nice JJ! Now thats whut I call a Real Piece of Equipment! :D

Good topic Loggy!

Drag mostly. Occasionally a truck if the deer's in a field or a 4 wheeler if one's handy. I picked up a deer cart this spring for 2/3rds of normal price that I'm looking forward to using for the times that I d have to drag deer. Last season I was dog tired because of all the deer I was dragging. Hopefully this will help.

cart.jpg

Patrick White said:
Good topic Loggy!

Drag mostly. Occasionally a truck if the deer's in a field or a 4 wheeler if one's handy. I picked up a deer cart this spring for 2/3rds of normal price that I'm looking forward to using for the times that I d have to drag deer. Last season I was dog tired because of all the deer I was dragging. Hopefully this will help.

cart.jpg

Pat, nice Pic. That looks like it would be nice to take your stand in as well.

Hi guys...been a lurker for a while on the other site and now here. We still get'em out the old fashioned way...here's my dad taking a break from dragging one of my Maine bucks out...just the standard stout stick and short rope method...
Dan%208%20Pointer%20Dad%20Dragging.jpg

ATV frist :lol: Glens deer handel next, works like a charm.

If I'm huntin' in the "back yard" I use the garden tractor with a 2 wheeled cart. I did buy the large deer/elk cart from Cabela's last year. It worked just great on the Park Hunts. I figured out a way to attach (and easily remove) 2 20" bicycle wheels to my ladder stand, so it could double as a cart if needed. It sure makes it easy to get it in and out of the woods by myself!

A while ago I shot a huge 10 point in N. Wisconsin. That one was easy to get out, he dropped right on a fire trail. All we had to do is drive the truck right to him. :D

Glens deer handle and frequent rest breaks. :wink: That Grizzly looks like it could be a great help JJ.

wher I hunt you drag it until you can get to it with atractor , but this year I'll have access to a gator.

JJ that grizzley won't help much at kill deer plains. :roll: :roll:

I have at various times used all the methods you all have discussed. Last year I was introduced to the deer sleigher. A piece of heavy duty plactic that you tie around the deer. It makes the drag a lot easier and can be rolled up and put in a back pack. Only weights 2.5 pounds. They are in Cabelas Archery catalog for about 20 bucks.

Still drag them by hand, but where I hunt don't have to drag them far and can pick them up with truck. Some day have to train the deer to jump up into the back of the truck box and wait for me :D

What's dragging a deer? I only shoot one where I can back my truck up to it!
smily0026.gif

JJ,
How does that Grizzly handle in the corners?
smily31.gif

Not quite as good as my other Yamaha used to... :(

Doohan,

Back in the day... Mid-Ohio Circa July 2000

MID-O_2001.jpg

Homemade cart. It has some heavy duty spoke wheels from Northern Tool. The axle is 3/4" bar stock from a hardware store. The frame is an old display rack frame; looks like a ladder (24" wide, about 6 feet long, made of 1/2" square tubing). With a 100' piece of rope, a couple of pulleys and a little time; the impossible drags are possible.

Loggy, good post. I tried a deer cart last year where I hunt along the Blue Ridge Mountains in Wind Gap PA. I finally had to resort to the old fashion way of dragging it out. The deer cart would work fine I guess in normal woods, but where I hunt there are a lot of small rocks and fallen logs and those small wheels kept on getting hung up. Being I hunt with my son and a couple of other guys, I'm thinking of trying a Military Stretcher to carry my deer out. Who knows it may come in handy to carry my old body out one day? I'm getting too old and out of shape to climb those mts. :(

Ed

When I do have to drag a deer a short distance found it's easier to drag them head first. If there is snow on the ground it's easier than on bare ground. Last year we tried using a plastic tarp under the deer and found they slide real easy. Many years ago I shot a small deer 3/4 mile from the vehicle and no way to drive in or get closer. I picked it up, threw it over my shoulder and walked out while my hunting partner walked beside me and carried my rifle.

Latest posts

Back