Different Conical. .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwayne

Reaction score
Why does it seem that people dead set against different conical's? Like PowerBelts and whatever else is out there?

I don't personally believe anyone is AGAINST Powerbelts. Some people might not like them because of the way the conical acted on game animals they shot. Some might simply be going on the WORD of those that claim they had troubles with powerbelts. What I think you see is people that tried them and then tried other conicals or sabots just feel the others they used/tested are superior. Therefore they use them and sometimes they over state their dislike of the experiences with powerbelts. Powerbelts are nothing more then a very soft, elongated roundball. I have killed a lot of deer with roundball. And see no reason why a Powerbelt will not do the same. Just don't push them too hard.

Most or at least the majority that shot them will tell you they found them to be hunting accurate. In fact some find them extremely accurate. I have shot them, and found them very accurate. I would hunt with them. I do feel there are better conicals out there. But like I said, they were accurate and would work.

So don't let others complaints of a product make you one sided. Evaluate them for yourself if they interest you. Powerbelts are very good sellers. So they must be a good bullet. Just not for everyone.

For instance, I used to shoot maxi hunter. I tried them in over twenty of my rifles and never got the accuracy out of them I demand for hunting. Now the maxiball is very accurate in most of my rifles and I like the design. But because of my experiences, I never endorse the maxi hunter. How can I tell someone that this is a good conical, when it never shot well for me.

Another conical I shoot is the 385 grain Buffalo Bullet Conical. Most of my rifles do not shoot this conical well. But four of my rifles shoot them very well. So again, I can report that these are accurate in some of my rifles, but the majority of my rifles don't like them.

Thank you Cayuga,

I just seem to read so many things on different conical's, and people swearing by them and cussing at others. (Adjective picked to emphasize).

I guess for me, Each conical has its characteristic. Whatever shoots out of my gun with accuracy is fine with me. I feel I just need to pick the conical for the kind of shooting I am doing.

I do not look for pass-through, so I may use a Powerbelt or some other kind of Hollow point, high impact, massive energy dissipating conical.

If I want something to go through shoulderblades etc, I will use a REAL 250 or REAL 320. They are solid through and through, and if I want, I can go for the lungs and heart.

I am like you. . . a PRB is a deadly combination. It may not have the long range of a heavier conical, but it sure is devastating on game. granted , it may only weight about 177 grains for a 50 cal. (My62 cal ball weights in at 320 grains.)

I guess it seems like I read posts that say "stay way from "XX"" When maybe the situation is, that "XX" is not made to do the what they want, but what someone else may want.

i found very little wrong with the pure lead powerbelts but those cheap azz jacketed hollow point bullets are useless. anyone that shoots them for hunting purpose's is asking for trouble, specificly if your using more than 90grs of anything with them.
i've told guys that use them, if you continue to shoot deer with them don't call me to help track them!

Back